Monday, May 22, 2006

Songs in the Key of My Life.

On the CBC yesterday, they had a show specifically geared to highlight listener's choices of songs that touched their souls. It was an interesting eclectic mix interspersed with conversations with the listener's about their reasons behind their choices. So, as I putted in the kitchen on a Sunday afternoon preparing dinner, I took it all in, and started thinking about the songs that resonate with me. This topic stuck in my head today as I attempted to garden in the rain. In no real order, here are my picks.

1. Van Morrison: When God Shines His Light On Me. This song makes me want to sing loudly, and do a twirling dance on the front lawn. It pierces me everytime I hear it with it's joyful beat and lyrics.

2. Mark Knopfler: The Soundtrack from Cal. The first time I really listened to this, I was driving through the Saint John River Valley at dawn over 20 years ago. It was also my first time driving through this part of Canada and I fell in love with it instantly. Who knew that 2 years later, I would end up settling here? Whenever I am driving along that specific piece of the old trans-Canada Highway, along the river, past the lush farmland, the music returns to me, and I feel whole.

3. Harry Chapin: All My Life's a Circle. I consider this my theme song of sorts. I was a devoted fan of Harry Chapin, attended many of his concerts and even had a chance to meet him. I introduced this song at my camp during a chapel years ago, before he died and it is still found in the camp chapel books. I love singing it with a large group of people, but I also love humming it to myself whenever. In fact, I was humming it in the garden today. It will be sung by a group of kindreds this weekend at the reunion I'll be attending. Chances are, I won't make it through the second verse without getting all veklempt.

4. Let There Be Peace on Earth. It brings chills to my soul. Always has. My son was in a boy's choir this winter with his school. This was the song they learned to sing for the Christmas concert. Innocent voices in harmony. I was a basket case by the end of it!!

5. Alison Kraus and Gillian Welch's version of I'll Fly Away from the sountrack of Oh Brother Where Art Thou? I do my very best to harmonize with them, which always sounds good from where I'm sitting, but I doubt if I'll be hearing from an agents. Willie Nelson played this song with the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band last week at a concert I attended, interspersed with "Will the Circle be Unbroken." All of a sudden, I found myself standing on my chair singing along and feeling mighty fine. The very best version, by far is Kraus and Welch, however. I want it played at my funeral.

6. Billy Joel: Summer Highland Falls. Billy Joel's music is like the soundtrack of my life. I still love Piano Man as much I did the first time I heard it when I was 14. The one that poignantly strikes my soul will always be Summer Highland Falls...........the words, the piano, his voice, all blend into magic for me.

7. Paul McCartney: Mull of Kintyre. My husband just pulled together a new compilation CD for me for Mother's Day. This is the last song on it. I hadn't heard it in a very long time. So, as I'm driving along, coming home at the end of the day, all of a sudden, I hear the familiar bagpipes. I turned it up loud and let the song pour over me, as I envisioned the coast of northern Scotland, and a whole band of bagpipes marching along the shore. It pulls at my ancestral roots.

8. Vivaldi's Four Seasons. Sunday morning with the sun pouring into the living room. Hot cup of tea in my hand, still in my nightgown .......... It's the music of God.

9. U2: Still Havent Found What I'm Looking For. I have decided this week that this song is one of the best rock songs ever written and produced. It is magical. I have never had the opportunity to attend a U2 concert, but I plan to as soon as their tour swings close by.

10. Van Morrison: Irish Heartbeat. It was the song my husband and I chose to dance to at our wedding reception. All I remember is being surrounded by all the people who loved us and feeling like I was floating on air.

11. Gordon Lightfoot: Song for a Winter's Night. It's a beautiful love song. When I listen to it, I feel warm and cozy, all bundled up under a big duvet in front of a fire on a January night when the snow and wind are blowing outside. Safe and loved.

12. Cold Mountain Soundtrack: The Scarlet Tide by Alison Kraus, which is the saddest lament sung by Kraus in a clear beautiful voice, and I'm Going Home by Sacred Harp Singers, which is a choir who make their voices into an amazing orchestra of sound. Both songs touch me deeply.

13. Bruce Springsteen: Devils and Dust. The whole CD. From beginning to end. And again. It is the most spiritually enhancing music I have had the pleasure to listen to in years.

I'm sure there are more.....................these are the ones that literally popped to mind first. What about you? What songs touch your soul? Care to share?





No comments: