Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Anne with an "e"


"Marilla, isn't it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day
with no mistakes in it yet?"

The other day, I stumbled across a copy of Anne of Green Gables and sat down to read some of it. Before I knew, I was pulled back into the life of Avonlea and the spirit of that fiesty redhead from Prince Edward Island. L.M. Montgomery was brilliantly ahead of her time, writing a story about a young girl who shares her feelings openly during the turn of the last century, a period when people didn't express themselves as vividly as they do today. But, even today strong opinions and intense emotions make people uncomfortable.

Anne is a dreamer........... a curious and creative dreamer with strong opinions and an undimished zest for life. She loves fully, hates vehemently, and wonders out loud, all to the consternation of her pious caregiver, Marilla. And, the end result? Her penchant for talking about anything that gives her joy or sorrow or makes her angry opens the doors for others to feel more comfortable in sharing.

Anne rattles Avonlea out of its slumber. She makes them aware of the goodness in life and in the nature around them. She thrives on the small discoveries and events in her world...... picnics, beautiful flowers, streams and dunes and lakes and the glory of a sunrise. She renames many of the local areas to suit her dramatic disposition. The nearby lake becomes the Lake of Shining Waters. The spot called Willowmere where she and her best friend Diana build a playhouse becomes Violet Vale. She identifies a beautiful lane that is protected by large shady trees Lover's Lane. She is a true romantic.

One of the statements that Anne makes, when telling Marilla that she prefers ameythysts to diamonds?
"Marilla, do you think ameythysts are made from the souls of good violets?"
I love that line. It just resonated with the side of me that believes that my soul too is connected to nature.

I can relate to Anne. Often my emotions can get the best of me, and yet I wouldn't want to be any other way. I have been told that I'm too sensitive or too dramatic. I have been told to "bring it down a notch," or to keep my opinions under wraps so as not to rock the boat. I have also been told that I don't have a filter...........that I'll say what's on my mind in a direct way. In defense, I do have the ability to be sensitive to others and I do have the ability to be a good mediator. AND, my best counselling tool is my ability to understand a person's feelings and to reflect it back to the inidividual in order for them to evaluate it themselves. So, to those who are see these as flaws.................well tough luck. I'm going to continue to bounce into work and play my role as motivator, sharing my daily commentary of life.

What you see is what you get with Anne Shirley................and what you hear is what you get. I like that about her and I appreciate it in others. As much as it was refreshing in Avonlea in 1900, it's just as refreshing in my world in 2006.

We should all be more open to opinions and emotions. It allows for the door to better communication and understanding between two people. Say what you mean.......................say how you feel and own it.

My last comment on Anne Shirley? I will always remember her as the one who coined the term "kindred spirit." And kindred spirits are the best people to drink red drinks with. And red drinks are the best kind of drinks around.

"There's such a lot of different Annes in me. I sometimes think that is why I'm such a troublesome person. If I was just the one Anne, it would be ever so much more comfortable but then it wouldn't be half so interesting"
Anne of Green Gables, L.M. Montgomery

1 comment:

Quilting Goddess said...

One of my favorite books ... I think it is because I could (still can) see alot of myself in Anne. Kindered Spirits ... well you & I know all about that.