Sunday, May 07, 2006

Billy Green the Scout.

Billy Green the Scout


If you were to visit Hamilton Ontario and the surrounding area, you would quickly notice that there are a few names repeatedly referenced. Gage, Calder, Saltfleet, Dundurn, Whitehern, and McNab all figure prominently and represent part of the military history of the area. The largest park inside the city limits is called Gage Park. Dundurn Castle is a popular destination (one of my grandmother's favourite places), built in 1935 by the McNab family who are considered the "first family" of Hamilton. On the other side of the city, is the village of Stoney Creek, home of the famous Stoney Creek Battlefield, with the house museum which used to be owned by the Gage family and for a time occupied by American troops during the War of 1812. It now sits atop of a hill overlooking a baseball diamond where I spent many summer nights when I was a very young watching my Dad play ball and eating Cracker Jack.

The Battlefield park is also a place where my Grandmother, Mabel took me often. It now has beautiful gardens and historical monuments that tell the story of how the Battle of Stoney Creek was the turning point in the War of 1812. Since Mabel had a love of history, it was natural for her to take her oldest granddaughter to see the sights. One of the stories that always fascinated her revolved around Billy Green. Not known beyond the parameters of this area, really Billy Green was instrumental in warning the British that the Americans were planning on invading. Consequently, the invasion was a failure, which turned out to be crucial in the British eventual victory.

I remember the first time I learned about this man they called "The Scout." Since I was used to Mabel's jaunts into history and since I had many sleepovers at her place when I was young, it was only natural that I would be there to help her find the erected gravesite for this man. One day, when I was about 10 years old, Mabel and I started traipsing through a local cemetary that is nestled behind a ring of trees adjacent to a very busy intersection. Interestingly, you couldn't hear the noise of the traffic once you entered the cemetary. It took us about 1/2 an hour to find the site, all the while Mabel kept talking about Billy Green's story and how brave he was. We stood there in front of his grave and paid homage together. I kept wondering how many other people took the time to seek it out. Not many, I doubt. I know that it wasn't the last time that Mabel returned there.................more than likely with other grandchildren or one of her friends from her "girls club."

This weekend marks the 3rd anniversary of my Grandmother's death. I have yet to return to her grave since the day of her funeral, mostly because she is buried in Hamilton and I am living in the Maritimes. All weekend long, I have been thinking about the afternoon that she and I stood together in front of Billy Green's grave while she taught and I listened and learned.

It's time that I do the same for her..............and tell a story of one of the many times I spent an afternoon with my Grandmother to whomever is with me. Then, I will lay a bouquet of yellow flowers........her favourite and quietly pay homage.


Mabel, I havent forgotten. I never will.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for your story.
I am glad to know where Billy lays.
Would you happen to know where his brother in law Isaac Corman is buried? I have about 65 letters written by or to descedants (grand children of Isaac Corman during the period 1860-1865 which was the time of the US Civil War. Two of the grandchildren of Isaac Corman served in the 9th Kansas Cav during the US Civil War. These men were MSgt. Ed Corman and his older brother Private Isaac Corman. Their sister Alice Corman married another soldier of the same unit Sgt James Young.
James and Alice Young are buried in Wichita, Kansas. Ed Corman moved to Oregon and then to California where he is buried. I am not positive of Isaac Corman's burial location but I believe it is Oregon

Jack Bender said...

I have learned that Isaac Corman moved to Michigan.