Monday, May 29, 2006

Past and Present.

Is it possible to return to your past? I'm fully cognizant of how the past can impact the choices and decisions you make in the present......... or the ones you decide upon for your future. I see that everyday in my office with clients. The past can haunt you to a point where it fogs your vision, where it can make you trip up and take the wrong path........the unhealthy "Oh my God, I'm in the same boat again" path. Without even being aware of it. Without even knowing that there is a thread linking various life experiences like a domino game.

For the most part, my role as a counsellor, is to help guide a person through the swampy myriad of their past. It's almost always negative at first until it's discussed and some perspective has been realized. Then, the more positive success stories start filtering through..... events that put a smile on their face. This is all talking, though. The past in this case is done through abstract discussions in an office.

What I'm wondering is different.............Can you return to your past?

I've been very lucky in my life, because my past is truly filled with goodness. And, this weekend, as you all know because I have been perseverating on it, I returned to a major part of my past. And you know what I found out? You can return........both physically, emotionally and spiritually.

My return was filled with happiness. Life affirming, all encompassing, sense of belonging joy. For three days and two nights, I entered a historical bubble with a wonderful group of people willing to suspend their "real" present day lives. There we were, all reliving and playing out our roles from 20+ years ago. The comedians, the storytellers, the party-goers, the pranksters, the organizers, the photo takers, the dreamers, the mentors, the mentees, the serious ones, the spiritual ones.......all happy and gleefully assuming their camp personas and having the time of their lives reliving their past.

I don't know what label my Kawabi kindreds would put on me.........I tend to straddle various roles. My time at camp fell in the "early middle" of the 40 years. So, in the eyes of some, I'm the mentee. In the eyes of others, I'm the mentor. With my circle of friends from my era......? I don't really know. What I do know, despite the absolute exhaustion that I feel at the moment is that I wasn't the only one there whose expectations were met. We all returned to the past, enjoyed a variety of "happenings" throughout the weekend that will sustain us until the next one can be arranged.

But before that....................I gotta catch up on my sleep!

1 comment:

Michael K. Althouse said...

Interesting. I actually believe that there are metaphysical possibilities that are way beyond my understanding - indeed, anyones understanding. I also believe that scientifically, there may be some potential for time manipulation. I don't, however, believe I can revisit the past in anything more than a recreative sense.

I do believe that I can change the past. I have done so, and without actually "going back" to do it. It all has to do with how I filter the past and the events contained in it. By working from a different paradigm, I can actually come away from formerly painful experience without having to relive that pain everytime. In fact, I have turned what I remembered as a generally unpleasant childhood (I was not abused or neglected or anything, I just felt short changed), into a humble and grateful experience. I have applied an new found attitude to the time in my life where I was selfish, sel-seeking and self-serving and came away with gratitude instead of resentment. It is possible to change the past.

~Mike