Sunday, September 14, 2008

reading glasses and red lips.



Our TV waves have been inundated with slick graphically enhanced ads created to try to lure us to the side of what is "right and good"....whatever that is. It's silly season once again both here and south of the border. You'd think as a political junkie, I would be feeling a sense of heightened thirst quenching quivers. Surprisingly, I'm not. In fact I'm having a very tough time conjuring up any whiff of interest even though I keep hearing the pundits and journalists yammer on about the importance of the elections. Did you know these are THE most important elections of our time. Really? Gee, it seems like it's the same dinner fare we've been dished up since the beginning of time. Well, except for the recent emergence of Sarah the Alaskan running mate.
Is it just me, or is does she resemble everyman's fantasy of Library girl? You know that one.......stern and no-nonsense on the outside, firey vixen on the inside? Well, then she opens her mouth and as much as she says the difference between a hockey mom and a pitbull is lipstick? I've met my share of pitbull hockey moms. They wear lipstick.....and sometimes no nonsense bouffie hairdos and reading glasses...........and they bellow and bite with venom. I wonder if the stock prices of erectile dysfunction blue pills have tanked lately because of her smoking gun presence? hmmmm..........just wondering, because no doubt about it.........this woman is a hot commodity. In fact, I think her ovaries have a brass shine to them and she's ringing them loud and in your face.
I watched the interview between "ABC Charlie" and "Alaskan Sarah...." a reading glasses fest. The questions, posed with the eyes over the top of the glasses.......damn seriously.......were unrelenting and MUCH needed.....produced answers more revealing of this woman and her extreme right wing opinions than I think she intended. Bloggie and MSM editorials predictably run the gamut of opinion, though it appears that they agree with her mishandling of the "Bush Doctrine" question, which automatically makes one question her depth of knowledge on her own government's policy. She tried to sidestep in and in turn made it quite apparent that she wasn't too sure what Gibson was referring to.
Yes, her answers on how to handle international issues and hot spots in the world were downright scary in my opinion, but you know what? It doesn't matter. It really doesn't matter. She has made an impact solely on who she is and who she is not. This is the allure! It has nothing to do with whether she has travelled much or whether she has met a Head of State. It matters that she HASN'T!!! What she has done in one astonishing back swoop is to hairclip the freshness out of Obama's wings.

Frontier Sarah brandished the "second coming" of Kennedy to the back pages and kitty litter boxes of yesterday's news ALL without a "blink......" Yes, she stated that there's no time to blink.........and didn't when McCain came calling. More amazingly, Sarah Palin woke up the masses........you know the ones who the Democrats had hoped would remain sleepy and apathetic. She woke up the people who see her and say.........."she's one of us! She can be our Washington slayer!" They see the fire in her belly, the no nonsense ability to cut through the crap and tell it like it is. They see Sarah Palin as a real live person who has emerged from an ordinary family and existance to take it all on. Her presence makes everyone else's presence seem lamely predictable and worn out. Even the new bright light Obama.
It all reminds me of something out of a Frank Capra movie!!

Did I say I wasn't interested? Did I say I didn't agree with the headline grabbing.........."most important election" diatribe? I guess I better rethink this because the election just keeps on grabbing hold......it keeps on getting more and more interesting as I glance over my reading glasses and take in the next breath of talking head babble. They will continue to consume themselves thereby helping her along. Sarah Palin will continue to spout off in too many unhandle-able directions and make glaring mistakes. This will breed new life into the talking head commentators, and will feed the comedy sketch grist mill of late night talk show hosts. Their jokes and opinions won't matter....... she will continue her meteoric rise from moose bagging hockey mom to the next Vice President of the United States. The masses are awake........and they like her. The people who were contemplating not voting altogether because of their disdain for McCain will be voting......and I'm afraid there's enough of them and of momentum to force her to pack up her growing family and head south.....er....east.
You know what? She's such a multi-tasking firecracker that I'm sure she'll manage to do juggle it all as well as make sure the lipstick is on in bold red. I mean after all, she's got God on her side and I hear he had something to do with the war in Iraq. There are moose in Washington aren't there?






Meet you in the foxhole. I'm ducking for cover.













ps.....is there an election on this side of the border too? Gee........who knew? I think we could use a big stir of the day old pot of past banquets.........a little spice to add flavour to the gruel. Where are the brass ovaried women eager to turn Ottawa upside down? Oh, we had that in the last election by way of the Princess of Auto Parts, Belinda Stronach..... she was going to be the saving grace ticket to an engaged constituency. And where is she now after breaking a few hearts, showing her glaring need to maintain her princesstry by always getting what she wanted. Well, after breaking up the marriage of one fine goon from the National Hockey League, Mr. Ty Domi, she hung up her skates and puckbunny ears, quit politics and has moved on.........into the quiet wilderness of the corporate world. That was enough to turn off any politically interested females who may have been on the cusp of running.




8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Democrats have a puzzle with a code name "Palin Problem". They have to solve it, and to do it effectively, because the prize is the White House.
Sarah is everywhere these days. No matter, if there are negative responses, rumors and resentments; or praises, support and encouragements. She filled media, and not only in America. Palinmania is spreading all over the world - everybody has their opinion on the new political celebrity of US.
The Palin avalanche is winning against Obama inundation. How should Democrats defeat her? Would it be better just keep their line of campaign and ignore populist idol of Republicans? Or should they put out their claws, oppose her and show her the real politics? http://www.votetheday.com/polls/to-defeat-palin-260/ - give advice to Democrats, if you think there still is an effective advice for them...

Bar L. said...

I love this. This should be published on the Huffington Post or something. I agree with you on all of this and I agree with vote the day, but I think Obama supporters are screwed and don't have a chance because all of the non-thinking people are captivated by this woman and don't seem to give a flying rat's ass if she's qualified for or GOOD for the job. Whatever. I give up. I sit at work and listen to men and women gush over her sing her praises and they have no clue what she stands for - they just LIKE her. I think I will vote for my cat because I like him, he's feisty and adorable.

kenju said...

Excellent! She fills me with fear and loathing - so I cannot see why the avalanche (as votetheday calls it) is so intrigued by her.

awareness said...

votetheday.....i wish you and your crew well in figuring it out.

Layla....gee, thanks! I should get that other piece up too, eh? The one about religion and politics? It keeps running away from me, but i still have it my drafts.

Judy....That truly is the conundrum and how to "manage" it. I think if she is over managed by her own republican people she will lose her appeal. And the Democrats have to be very careful because they don't want to look like they have sucked on sour grapes and are whinging about her. She's a great challenge for the back room strategists that's for sure.

very scary......i'm with you.

nbt said...

From her speech in Carson City, Nevada : "As governor then, I brought the same agenda of positive change. We took on the old politics-as-usual in Juneau. The old oil company monopoly that had really controlled our state, we broke it. And the good-old-boy network of lobbyists and special interests that used to run things, whatever they're running now, it's not the state of Alaska! (Cheers, applause.) And nearly half a billion dollars in wasteful, excessive spending, well, that's what vetoes are for. (Cheers, applause.)"

You can almost interchange Juneau, Alaska and state with Fredericton, New Brunswick and province. Oil monopoly can remain unchanged. lol

And you wonder why I like her.

awareness said...

hey nbt....perhaps if she was a Canuck we could have her run for premier. Alas, she is the RUNNING MATE on her way to being second in command of the USA for God's sake not a province of 700,000.

Glad you like her. Fill yer boots! :)

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Oh Lord Help Us All!

I think this IS the most important election of my lifetime. We have had eight years of the whittling away of our Constitutional Rights; An Administration that cares for no one but their "buddies" and the money THEY will make, etc., etc., etc.
To me, Obama is our only Hope! Palin is a Horror Show and McCain sounds like he is completely out of touch. I find the Republican ticket very very scary, and it will not be MORE of the same, it will be WORSE than what we have lived through in these last eight years.
I guess part of me hopes that Palin will do herself in with her extremist views on Choice and Oil and Shooting Animals from Airplanes, and telling us God's hand is responsible for the War in Iraq, cause McCain's age and his Health History makes me really frightened of his ability to run the country, and worse, that Palin might end up President of The United States. Her Right Wing Conservitive Fundamentalis Gun Toting, lets-get-rid-ogRoe V. Wade beliefs scares the hell out of me as NO other Candidate has in all the years I have been voting.
Back then, you had to be 21 to vote, so that was a very long time ago---1952, was the first Election I voted in. I do not remember a time when I felt so fearful of what more can happen to this country and our standing in the world, which is very very shaky, at best, right now!

I don't understand Voting for someone who you feel you can sit down and have a Beer with....I don't understand that at all...Since the President should have a lot more qualifications than that, in my view. The Dumbing Down of America. OY VEY!

awareness said...

Naomi....thank you for sharing your feelings and perspective here. I know I would be feeling exactly the same way if I was American as well.....just watching across the border knowing that elections in the USA always directly impact us, I too have a sense of foreboding.

I think it continues to rachet up in notches too given the economic crisis shown over the past couple of days with bankruptcy and collapses of financial institutions. It is very frightening. I don't think either side has a strong economic background coming into this very important election, which makes it all the more disturbing.

It seems like many Americans see this election as you do....the most important in their lifetime. I'm glad in one way because it has pulled out the masses to rally and realize the importance of voting and getting involved. It wasn't so long ago that I remember reading a great essay by Mike A (25 year plan) on the apathy of the country.....and the turn off of interest and feelings towards elected officials. One thing is certain, the people running for the highest office have most certainly stirred things up. Who knows how this will play out and HOW to play it. Obama's strategists better be on their game, because I'm sure that Karl Rove is!