Tuesday, July 22, 2008

sticky songs


love is flowing like a river
flowing out through you and me.......


Do you suffer from songs stuck in your head syndrome? I do, though I must admit it's sometimes difficult to hear the song over the voices in there too.

Kidding.......well sort of.........

Today, for some reason I have had a little church hymn keeping me company. The same lyrics kept looping back over and over whenever I stopped for a breather in between work tasks where I had to remain focused and not thinking about little hymn ditties. It actually acted as a soothing reprieve on a day that was fraught with intensity and the need for me to remain on task.

What's bizarre about this particular song though is that I didn't even know the whole hymn. I couldn't even place a time when I have even sung it aloud. And yet there is was, drowning out my silence. I do know the origin however. It was the word "flow" which had originally captured my thinking. I had used it to describe my feelings to a friend this morning and from there the word seemed to hook onto the hymn and pull it into my conciousness.

peace is flowing like a river,
flowing out through you and me.


A gentle flowing river of tranquility, an essence I sorely lacked during the counselling, adversity and group dynamic facilitating I was involved with today. I've always loved the visualization and feelings of the word flow..........there's a sense of reiteritive movement, never ending in nature.....which is exactly how sticky songs feel like too. I think this is often the case. You start with one idea, one word, one concept and all of a sudden it has theme music accompanying it.

joy is flowing like a river,
flowing out through you and me......


Some people suffer from hearing the same sticky song for long stretches. I'd find that really annoying. Mine usually last a day or so, and then I tend to move onto another one, most likely from a different venue. Van Morrison is a regular vistor to my noggin. Old camp songs show their harmony too..... both the loud after dinner "99 bottles of beer in the wall" kind and the early evening "fires burning, draw nearer" rounds. Recently John Denver made a comeback for some reason........weird.......hadn't thought about Sunshine on My Shoulders in years, but there it was. Yeah, I could list ten songs off the top of my head which have recently flowed all through me during a brief visit and then pulled out only to be tucked away again.....and all different venues and different genres.

hope is flowing like a river
flowing out through you and me.


I could almost taste the refreshing springfilled essence coming from that river hymn.....engaging and reassuring. It gave me energy.

I was thinking about this stickiness phenomenon tonight as I searched for the rest of the lyrics for my flowy hymn which had stuck to me today. After I found them, I decided to seek out more about the syndrome. It turns out one of the most common songs to get stuck is "Who Let the Dogs Out...." Thank GOD it's not one that visits me!

The other piece of sticky song information I learned? It happens most often to neurotics. Good to know I have another descriptive word to identify me. I can live with that. It's better than worrying about it. Right? It is right? I should just accept the label and move on, right??

6 comments:

Marja said...

I don't know the song. I don't have a lot of sticky songs beacause I can't here the words properly because it mingles up with the music.
Last week I heard The Rose on the radio The melodie stuck and I looked up the words:
Some say, "Love, it is a river that drowns the tender reed," etc.
It was like a poem I kept singing it.

Laura Schmitt said...

hey muskie - it's been a while since i visited awareness - my loss. here's the lyric i often say over and over......
repeat the sounding joy
repeat the sounding joy.....
we experience so many joys each day - just little ones..they are there....you just have to look for them
one of my joys is your site and your friendship
wasabun :)

awareness said...

Hi Marja....i heard a song tonight too and hard a tough time segregating the words from the tune, but the melody did stick for a while all on it's own.

Wasabun. I've got joy, joy joy joy down in my heart, down in my heart, down in my heart..........!! I know that's another joy song, but it jumped at me....remember singing it at chapel...

I was thinking about you this morning as I have half a piece written about humour....may have to share that one story that made us almost lose our lunch so many years ago.

I LOVE your sticky song verse.... and as soon as I read it, I could picture you running to the beat of it, smiling your effervescent smile.

email on the way....am home in Sept. ....26 years is way too long not seeing one another wouldn't you agree??

Laura Schmitt said...

26 years is way too long...it's time we 2 kindred spirits sit down with a glass of wine!!
name the day, i'll be there!!

Karen said...

I can't get "I Kissed a Girl" out of my head at the moment. It's been there quite literally for weeks with intermittent changes for a short time and then there it is again. I even posted the clip on my Theme Park blog in the hope that it would get it out of my system. Good thing I like it....

Under there... said...

This amazing photograph and the post sticks with me! Beautiful, both of them.