Sunday, July 27, 2008

Hats from the heart.



Beauty makes presence shine. It brings out elegance and dignity and has a confidence, an effortlessness that is not laboured or forced. This fluency and ease of presence is ultimately rooted below the surface in surer depths. In a sense, the question of beauty is about a way of looking at things. It is everywhere, and everything is beauty; it is merely a matter of discovering it. John O'Donahue.

Yesterday, I was asked to help out as the "official photographer" and support for my colleague who had organized the second annual Hats from the Heart tea. Held right in the heart of the city in the back garden of an apartment building for seniors, citizens from all parts congregated to celebrate summer breezes, nostaligic music and a touch of shining elegance. Everywhere I looked I saw it..........in the smiles and eyes, in the life lines of lives lived..........there was a genuine radiance to the communion of beauty..........ageless, timeless human beauty.

This was a special event in many ways. There is a caring and sharing feel underlying it all, from the young girls, all dressed up to sing and to serve, to the recognition from the mayor (who sang a beautiful rendition of Sinatra's classic New York, New York.......and the local member of the legislature who was all smiles of genuine pleasure connecting with every single person sitting at the tables......) to the fact that each hat worn yesterday had been donated by a member of our community. Each hat had a note tucked inside............a story about the hat's meaning, or a message of love from the donor......... hats from the heart........

I havent yet formulated all of my thoughts on the experience of taking part yesterday. As an observer and a participant and as someone who knows a few of the stories behind the beautiful faces, I was touched more deeply than I had expected and was left with a feeling that I it had been a true honour to attend. I loved watching the young girls all dressed up serving their "elders"...... i loved listening to one young girl sing an aria which simply pierced every single heart listening......and watching their reaction. I loved reuniting with a few people I hadnt seen in a good hand full of years and in different contexts. I loved the conversations, the song, joyfulness of the event.

We congregated under the umbrellas and shade of the tree to share a couple of hours together with blooming hats on. We were all left with a sense of communion. Enjoy some of the photos.............. :)







In its graciousness, beauty often touches our hearts with the grandeur and nobility of its larger resonance. In our daily lives such resonance usually eludes us. We can only awaken to it when beauty visits us. John O'Donahue























"For beauty is the cause of harmony, of sympathy, of community. Beauty unites all things and is the source of all things. It is the great creating cause which bestirs the world and holds all things in existence by the longing inside them to have beauty. And there it is ahead of all as....the Beloved....toward which all things move, since it is the longing for beauty which actually brings them into being.."






7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've enjoyed this post too...what a vast array of differing hats, all so lovely in their own way! And the tea cups are beautiful....how nice to have 'real tea' in 'real tea cups'....it's a scene that takes me back to my childhood and reminds me of the things I miss about England.
Thank you:)

Bella

Rainbow dreams said...

thats a lot of hats and tea and beauty together...colourful lives lived shining out together.
Lovely photos

Bar L. said...

What a special day! You captured it very well...you a woman of so many talents!!!!

Under there... said...

Oh how fun! The colorful hats on such colorful people. Delightful!

awareness said...

Bella.....it really was such a great afternoon....elegant in all aspects! This is a very new experience for many of the folks who took part....the silver and china tea services along with the dressing up and the hats given from the heart were so warmly received by them.

Katie.....the smiles were all around....from the little girls serving to the older ladies receiving a kind of attention they had never seen before....very shiny!

Layla......i was just there for the ride! It was such fun.

Tim....I think you would've really enjoyed it. It was wonderful to be able to provide such an experience to a group who deserve some extra special attention. :)

Laura Schmitt said...

I love the pictures and the idea. How I would love to have read each story. Your great event just gave me an idea - I am a knitter but never know what to knit. I wonder if I could make soft, funky knitted hats for women struggling with cancer treatment / hair loss? What do you think???
wasabun xoxo

awareness said...

wasabun.....knit on my friend! I think that's a great idea.

I also could use a multi-coloured funky knit hat to go with my bright red winter boots and my red coat. ;)

ps....wish i could write their stories here, but they will have to remain in my head and heart for the time being.