Thursday, August 23, 2007

where i used to go...........

A good friend sent me this photo today with a teaser, "guess what this is?" Not many would recognize it, and only a handful would look at the building in this photo and have the same nostalgic feelings I have of it. This little cabin nestled in the woods was where I spent many wonderful hours during my youth. It used to be a destination as a kid, and then it eventually though temporarily it became my domain, albeit one I shared with a gaggle of kids. This used to be a merry making hub of activity craft shop. It hasn't functioned as one for many years. The beams are broken from age and winter beatings. It's filled with rusty old iron bunkbed springs from long ago......abandoned and left to harbour the echos of the past.
But, back when the voices were creating the future echos?
It was a haven that housed 4 groups of kids during four activity periods everyday for two months out of the year. They would arrive excited to hang out..........to make something, to listen to the music, to chat with their friends, to be still in a place where still was in short commodity. After outbursts of activity emanating throughout the rest of camp.........from swimming to sailing to water skiing to skin diving........it was a place to catch one's breath. Even the wiggly jiggly ones who rarely could sit still, they would find some focus in the craft shop.
This magical spot was set up with shelves, supplies and half creations hugging the perimeter, while a work area was set up in the middle in a U shape. I worked mostly behind the work area in order to facilitate and help kids working on projects, all the while working on my own. It would be nothing for 15 kids to be in there working on 15 different projects ranging from plaster molds to copper enamelling, to etchings, clay pottery, weaving, and various and sundry other sorts of crafts.........and two or three staff to direct the harmony.
Paints, dyes, powders and clay......glue, varnish, wool and strings.....sticks, sand, pipe cleaners and jute...... it was all there to do with it what we wanted.
I think this is where I first learned about how the process of creating was much more satisfying than the end product. It is also where I learned how an activity where one is working with their hands has the power to allow for a comfort in sharing of the heart. Lots of talk was interspersed with the music and the jokes and laughter.
Some nights, when I wanted to get away from the hubbub of the other staff milling around after the campers went to bed, I would head up to the craft shop to work on a project......sometimes alone........sometimes with a friend......in the stillness of a summer night. Creating something helps clear the head. It's where we find our flow.........where time slips by unnoticed and takes with it the fog of worries......
I can't imagine how many kids soaked up the welcome over the years.....too many to count. The majority of them left something there forever though.....they left their name, painted on the inside walls of this cabin......in their favourite colour....in a spot chosen for posterity....with the dates of the years they lived at camp. The walls are plastered with names, some painted over.
Mine is in there.....1970-1981.....in red. Names which conjure up the faces of the echos. If I close my eyes, I can see the inside of this little place and know exactly where I painted my name, just like everyone else who holds a memory or two of the old craft shop.
Nostalgia has it's place in our memories. It can be visited like a good friend who lives far away. It can leave you feeling a whole mix of emotions too that sometimes surprises us with the intensity it creates. Sometimes it simply slips by as an afterthought. I guess the word that best describes this particular nostalgic memory for me is bittersweet. But mostly sweet.....a whole bag of sweets.
Thank you Ribii Scott for the chance to relive some sweets......and to hear some of the echos. And one of the echos is you!

12 comments:

BreadBox said...

That's a sweet memory, Awareness, very sweet. Just enough sadness to heighten the taste:-)

And of course, I re-read your last paragraph, and discover you've scooped me in advance with your words...!


N.

sage said...

nice memory--reminded me of the dining room at Camp Tom Upchurch--which was all torn down just a year or so after I was there in the late 60s. there were paddles and banners hanging, signed by members of various summer staffs, going back to the 1930s. Oh yeah, almost forgot to tell you that Michele says hi.

awareness said...

thanks Breadbox....it wasn't what I intended to write about tonight, but the photo arrived and out popped the story!! While I was writing it, I was thinking of the activities I do now as a way of finding that flow.....I have a feeling your bread making creations fit this category?

Sage...welcome....it's interesting you write of a place like that....just down the path of the craft shop is an abandoned lodge with paddles and banners hanging. I almost posted those photos tonight too. Camps hold legacies and warm memories for many....sounds like you have some in your back pocket too.

BreadBox said...

I had a thought when I first read your post, and it went flitting away like a butterfly as my words converged on sweet, a tartness, but not bittersweet (and then those words went away because you'd said them, more or less).
I have a feeling I wanted to say something about creativity, breadmaking, origami, even folding paper planes with little children...
but my brain these days is ready with its CRAFT moments at every opportunity!


N.

J Pearson said...

Some of our best writing comes from our treasured memories. They were familiar sounds for me too.

I can see you are a time traveller, the creative things you did with young people back then, affected their future and helped them to be who they are now. We leave with others part of ourselves.

Jenny said...

It's so nice to "go home" - this made me go on my own journey down memory lane... thanks!
The picture of the old cabin; What a serene place.
Have a great weekend.

BreadBox said...

Awareness,
I remember now what I wanted to write about in my comment last night: Skiff Lake, between Woodstock and Fredericton: where *I* used to hang out when I was 19 and 20 for a while: my friends, almost surrogate parents for those two periods of my life, had a cottage there, and every weekend, winter or summer, there was a good chance they'd be there. And if they were there, they'd take me along.
I was older than their children, but they were still fun to play with, and I could help out a bit by keeping an eye on them: though they were good kids who needed no eyes in general.
I had many life-shaping experiences there: walking in the dark on a cloudless, moonless night, trying to find my way by starlight: snowshoing: waterskiing: long, long talks with some of the nicest people I've ever met.

I drove by the lake this spring: it has changed over the years, and there was nobody at the cottage that day. The lake was frozen, and most of my memories of it are summer ones. It was unsettling: I'd love to go back and see it in the summer, but I think that that would be unsettling too: the days are gone, long gone by, and long though I may, I must bid them good bye.
Sweet memories; sweet as summer apricots, with that almondy bitterness of today to give perspective.
N.

P.S. I like the piece on the Blue Jays and the players' rudeness.

Rainbow dreams said...

I lose count of the nights that have slipped past while we have been creating...and even further back ...
nostalgia...one of the rewards for living to the full?

The House on Big Island said...

Muskie,

While visiting with Luten and clan at Otterdale last summer, my bride and I ran into a Skip and a Nish during lunch. (Sing songs still stir my senses)

We had a chance to talk a little and Skip told me then, that after all those years of pondering the process of lowering the roof on the old Craft Shop (which he could never do, mainly because of the spirit of so many names on walls and roof), that it finally succumbed to age and time and the roof collapsed onto those stacks of bunk bed springs during the winter after camp was closed.

The Spirit of Kawabi finally gave her most loyal sentry the rest that she deserved!

"DAISY"

awareness said...

Br David.....the interconnectiveness (is that a word??) I found at this camp especially is what made it so special because as a child I too was profoundly impacted by the goodwill and wisdom of others. It seems to me that if we could bottle the feeling and process and allow it to simmer in the larger society, perhaps we would have much more respect and kindness towards one another. Knowing we are all connected and that my actions and abilities etc impact others and visa versa.....think of how different this world would be?

anon.....that is the perfect word for the feeling of the old craft shop. Serene. Even in the flurry of activity, there was always a sense of serenity permeating the area.

breadbox...yes, I know Skiff Lake, and have travelled the area visiting clients over the years...beautiful area, but as you point out a bit bleak and abandoned feeling off season. It is unsettling to find a place where once so much merriment filled the air is so silent. Perhaps it's so unsettling because it challenges one's memories? I have found that when I have returned to this camp......as I did last year after the whole place had closed down.

Katie....interesting thought. yes, one can't feel nostaligic if one hasn't lived fully......

Daisy...I didn't know that story, thank you for sharing it. I wish the darn thing wasn't filled with iron beds though....would rather it simply fall and have the area return to nature....
Did he tell you I almost burned the roof off one day?? :) It's true......Muskie and melting wax don't mix....

The House on Big Island said...

Ah...the old hand molds. Toes still has a pair of bookends, exact replicas of his very own hands, middle fingers cleverly extruded.

What is really neat (some might find a little bothersome) is that they have his very own hair in them as well.

He and Alf carefully removed the wax molds from the plaster hands so as not to burn the hairs with the torch - leaving everything completely in tact.

I do remember the fire story - amazing how many bullets were dodged there and other places.

What a life!!!

"DAISY"

Karen said...

What lovely memories you have. Sometimes when I see old abandoned buildings with their roofs missing and walls tumbling down, I wonder about the people that once lived there and what tales those walls could tell if they could talk.