Sunday, August 26, 2007

Skalli-wag Cousins.



Late summer evenings......these scalliwags have just climbed out of the pool all shivering and are now huddled together in shared sweats and clothes in front of the campfire. All boys.....all cousins......altogether. Except there's one missing. The rose between the skalli-wag cousins.....their one and only girl cousin whose home with her Dad in Fredericton.
Martha, you are missed every moment by these rascals....AND not because you're the only one old enough to drive the golf cart!! Thomas would be in your arms demanding you carry him everywhere because of his broken leg. Joe and Will would be shooting nerf darts at you (instead of me).....Sam would be showing you his newest book on wildlife and Jake? He may get on your case about teaching him to drive the golf cart without any of the adults knowing! AND, like the wonderful only girl cousin that you are........and because you're a kind person, you would accomodate all of them (except the sneaky golf cart lessons, right?) and even deal with a brother who would be in your face driving you crazy like he can so well.
Here's a secret................your brother misses you the most. I'm not kidding.
Family...........

6 comments:

Unknown said...

There is something about kids enjoying the last moments of summer before school resumes that is so heartwarming. I only had one first cousin, but my Mom often reminsced about the summers spent with all her cousins.
Dana- thank for for always coming to my blog and leaving thoughtful comments even when I am sparse with my writing. Please know that your words and thoughts mean so much to me.

awareness said...

Tori....it definately had that feel to it last night. I was thinking the same thing....the last of the summer before school starts. Part of that feeling came from the fact that it seemed to all of sudden get dark MUCH earlier and there was a late August chill to the air.

awareness said...

oh.....and your very welcome. I always love visiting your blog to see what you have written

Shaz said...

Dana sounds like a great trip I love seeing cousins play together we are the other way round, 9 girls and my only boy until september then we will be blessed with another boy 19 years apart woo hoo.

Bobkat said...

Sounds like they are making the most of the end of summer! I grew up in a large family and this sounds exactly like mine. We were always boisterous together but missed each other when apart even though we drove each other (and our parents) nuts! Family indeed!

awareness said...

Shaz...it has been a great week of these little guys playing together. My son is the only one "from away" so it is a huge treat for him and for his cousins to congregate.

Bob Kat....yes we are, but I can't quite get my head around the idea that we are nearing the end of summer holidays. This time next week, we'll be tucking our kids in, helping them sleep the night before school starts. amazing how quickly times flies........