Friday, November 11, 2005

Remembering and Striving for Peace.

Let there be peace on earth
And let it begin with me.
Let there be peace on earth
The peace that was meant to be.
With God as our father
Brothers all are we.
Let me walk with my brother
In perfect harmony.

Let peace begin with me
Let this be the moment now.
With every step i take
Let this be my solemn vow.
To take each moment
And live each moment
With peace eternally.
Let there be peace on earth,
And let it begin with me.

Right after 9/11, I found myself driving home from a meeting in Saint John. The radio programs continued to blare threatening messages of impending conflict in Afghanistan. War was looming in retaliation of the carnage left from the terrorist attacks in the United States. The outcome seemed inevitable. That thought left me with a saturated sense of dread by the unending onslaught of stories I had read, seen and heard. I felt powerless. Destiny was not in my personal control. And, as I drove along the border of Base Gagetown, where plans and preparations were undoubtedly happening at a hectic pace, I turned off the radio.

Quiet solitude............silencing the fears.................thinking of past times..........reminiscing....finding moments tied to a sense of security and belonging...........calming down.................................

It seemed like the song came out of nowhere, sliding in from the music memory bank. I hadn't thought about it in years. But as I wondered how I was going to have more self-control over my fears of war and terrorist threats, the words flickered back to me, and I began to sing it again, while remembering the Sunday chapels I led at a summer camp faraway. It had always been one of my favourite songs.

Quickly, the message in the words, and the melody somehow brought back some inner harmony. And as I continued to sing the song, I felt some strength and conviction that I did play a role in my destiny. Peace would begin with me.

This morning, the song returns to my thinking as I recognize the importance of Rememberance Day in Canada. Let it be a reflective day for all. Let us all embrace brotherhood, openness to understanding our differences and similarities. Let us all strive for peace.


"Peace starts with a smile"
Mother Teresa


No comments: