Friday, November 11, 2005

A Brave Voice Hidden in the Attic

"It's really a wonder that I haven't dropped all my ideals, because they seem so absurd and impossible to carry out. Yet I keep them, because in spite of everything I still believe that people are really good at heart. "

"The best remedy for those who are afraid, lonely or unhappy is to go outside, somewhere where they can be quiet, alone with the heavens, nature and God. Because only then does one feel that all is as it should be."

Anne Frank
June 1929-March 1945


It was Anne Frank who introduced me to the horrors of the Holocaust and World War II. I first picked up her diary and read it at the same age that she had written it. Her gift of providing awareness encouraged me, as well as millions of others, to learn more about the stories and the sacrifices of life that form the foundation of our freedom. Her thoughts, desires and observations personalized a catastrophic event that seemed unreal and far away from my backyard. Anne's powerful words that express her hopeful idealism will continue to touch and teach. Her life was a gift to us.

No comments: