Sunday, March 18, 2007

kookaburras, canucks and vegemite

This morning I was delighted to receive a bunch of old photos taken in 1984 by my friend Russel, who lives in Sydney. It's been over twenty years since we had been in touch and he found me through the magic of the internet! I'm awash with wonderful gut splitting laughter, quiet moment discovery, rebel rousing memories this morning. At one point during the trip, 7 of us somehow found one another and merged as a gaggling crew of kookaburras, canucks and yanks. We rented a villa in a small village on Crete for a couple of drinking game days and touring and lazing around. The first photo is of the villa. Note the vegemite. It did travel well.
Me, in the glasses.......strange but I don't think I have worn them since. Heather, my true touring/Uni friend AND maid of honour at my wedding :)...........Nick, my kookaburra crush playing the guitar. This was taken (I think) after we had landed at the port in Greece and we were waiting for the morning train to Athens. Nick played all night long........beautiful background music to my incessant writing............

In Nice with Russel and Heather and me. Our first day together.


Below, Me at the Acropolis. Below that, Nick and Russel with their new "mini- hogs." For 3 dollars a day, we all rented them and toured the Island of Crete. Ah...................


I'm left this morning filling in the memories between the photos, and there are many. It was a growing, stretching time for all of us..........coming at a point in our lives when responsibilities were few and the future was looming. I look at it now as a transitional crossover coming of age trip.

Learning, stretching, loving, risking, meeting, sharing, laughing, singing, wondering and taking DEEP breaths to take it all in. Truly a big highlight in my life. Thank you Russel for finding me again, and for transporting me back to a bit of bliss....... OH........and thank you for teaching me the words to Waltzing Mathilda on the train from Rome to Brindisi, and all of those marvellous Aussie drinking games. Ouzo anyone?

5 comments:

JP (mom) said...

What wonderful pics and amazing memories!! Thank you for sharing this time in your life ... lovely trip down memory lane. Cheers, peace & love, JP

awareness said...

Hey Deborah........I was pretty well bursting when I received the pics. I had never seen them before, though it's funny I seem to have many of the same, except I'm not in my own photos. It has been a couple of weeks of memory lane stuff....it was a very special week in my life....one I cherish.

It seemed like it had been lost and covered by so many other events and time layers.......but it was just waiting to be found and re-cherished.

ta.

Canadian Sentinel said...

Greece, eh?

I've some Greek neighbors. Just across the street.

Hmm... lookin' at the pics... the bottom one: you're real cute, and I think that smirk you're wearing indicates you just let out a little tushy tootie... Greek food'll do that to ya... heh!

Hmm... that explains why my Greek neighbors fart so much...

Indeed, there's lots of Greeks in my neck of the woods...

awareness said...

i do have a queer look on my face...hmmmm..

I'll take your compliment and run with it !!

you're a funny boy.

Canadian Sentinel said...

Yes, I'm a funny guy. Hee-hee!

Want more?

Ok, then... see the rock? Some moonbat tourist insulted the Greek by graffilthing it with the message "Greece punk's"... and "punk" means, well, to do what Monica did to Bubba in the Oral Office, clearly a stereotypical slur on the Greek. Perhaps that's why you're stifling a naughty chuckle at that...

And see that guy in the brown coat in the background? Is he taking a whiz? You wouldn't be visibly all giggly-girly at the fact that some Greek guy's exposing his man-thingy nearby? Oh, wait! Maybe it isn't a Greek guy... maybe it's Billy Clintoon visiting Greece for the first time! In which case he probably just met a Greek girl... yep... that'd explain the guy in the background, what he wrote on the rock and your smirk. That naughty, immoral, unethical Bubba, eh?

Then again, it's more likely what made you smirk is it was the aftereffects of the wonderfully spicy souvlaki or whatever you had for lunch... or perhaps it was the person taking the picture who let out the funny little *fffonnnkkk!*

Hee-hee-hee! :b