Friday, August 21, 2009

two choices....


There seems to me we only have two choices. We can remain awake as we strive to find the courage to encounter the constant changes, both the subtle ones that dwell under the surface or the big bang ones that explode right before our eyes. Or, we can hunker down inside a shadow with a sense of false hope that life's inevitable changes will go away.

A numbed down life........asleep at the wheel......it's easier to choose this route isnt it? We are protectors who long for comfort and calm. But we are also pilgrims.....in search of transformative meaning. It's difficult to find that balance isn't it?

We live in a world defined by change. Why do we humans try to avoid it at all costs? Is it the event that frightens us? Or is it the fear of encountering those feeling monsters that have the capacity to rip us open and leave us in a vulnerable raw state? Interestingly, it is when we break open into the realm of vulnerability that we feel the most alive.....our nerve endings glow as our senses heighten. Feeling alive brings us out of ourselves, where we can unlock the door to our hidden secrets.... Just the thought of what may be lurking can send shivers down the backs of the most brave of us.... !

However, If we yearn to be surprised by joy, we must learn to be able to loosen our hold on our menacing shadows and feel the suffering as well. They live in tandem, not on different streets across town from another. They live within our souls....together, providing the backdrop for all personal and spiritual growth.

Stay inside away from risks and opportunities.
Stay tucked in with your body and soul asleep, life will simply carry on without you.

Learn to trust your potential, gifts, innate curiosity...
Learn to trust the people who love you, who want the best for you,
Accept that change is opportunity, that crisis is opportunity for good reflections....
You will find yourself thirsting for transformative change, to see just what dawn will bring.

Me? I tend to nod off once in a while, stuck in a moment too long...... maybe its needed to recharge my batteries? Maybe a little downtime helps revive the energy? You can't be wrestling wildbeasts all day long! You can't be an exploring pilgrim day and night! Sometimes you've got to hide in a shadow and get some much needed sleep inside the lullaby of a prayer.

My conscious choice..... I'm awake. I slept for far too long. I'm as ready as I can be to step into the journey. Sleep isn't an option. There will be enough of that at the end of my life.




3 comments:

Marja said...

Yes dare to live and embrace the adventure. Why don't we get the hang of that when we are young
It is silly by the time you have learned everything In my case to get confidence and to learn to deal with overload you are old
Bagger as they say in NZ

Anonymous said...

I feel a real stirring in my psyche when I read your wise words Dana. Now if only I could feel a stirring in my energy levels...I fear the MS is about to make another unwelcome return. The signs are all there. Sigh.....

awareness said...

Marja...I'm reading a great book right now that I purchased for my office.... It's entitled Broken Open....wonderful stories about life struggles and accomplishments. I wrote this after reading a couple of the stories...

Gypsy...you know what...sometimes we need to hunker down....get well soon my friend. I'll be in touch