Sunday, August 23, 2009

rapture


.....alights after you take a big leap off the cliff into a deep dark cool lake. Arms splayed, legs kicking wildly, you fill the humid air with whooping bellows as you smack-hit the water with a flesh stinging force. You plunge under the surface only to pop back up stunned and a little shook up from the undignifed feel of a lake enema. As you tread water to regain your sense of direction, and to pull your swimsuit out of the crack of your sorry bum before you swim to shore, a calm moment surrounds you.

silencing bliss
quiet joy stirrings
a melting knowing

falling down, shouting out, plunging in, popping up, pulling out, then looking around in awe and new eyes....

rapture leaves you with a message that it has nothing to do with stoic dignity and more to do with flailing like a crazy person happy to be soaking wet alive.

7 comments:

Kay said...

extremely nostoligic, and think, we go back up and do it again and again!

awareness said...

Kay....amazing how often we go back to try again and again. I guess we like the feeling of rapture, eh? :)

Anonymous said...

wouldn't it be ironic if the rapture had already happened...

awareness said...

Paul...You think he's gonna have the last laugh? I remember meeting an elderly woman during one of my home visits when I was interviewing her adult son who had a disability. They had been strong Christian believers all their lives. The woman told me many stories pertaining to her church going and her readings....very enlightening. She was a delight. After an hour of conversation about all things religious.... she stopped in mid sentence and lean forward and said.... "You know what I'm worried about? I'm worried that I'm going to get to the end of my life only to find out it was all a big joke!" I cracked right up! She did too.

Nah....rapture is in our own soul making....I hope to see a few glimpses of Jesus in amongst the communal joy of Greenbelt next weekend.

I listened to an hour long interview today on the radio (was blown away by the serendipity of it) with Michael Franti. It started by Franti defining joy. He said. It happens when the human being intersects with the Divine. Don't you love that? I suspect rapture lives inside the intersection.

Can't wait to see you...

Gilly said...

Its a long, long, long time since I jumped into the water with all the force you described! And you have brought back exactly the feelings of swimsuit in awkward places and the disorientation for a moment! And the gloriousness of swimming back to the diving board and doing it all over again! (I used to do it at my Grandad's, in the sea, at high tide!)

Anonymous said...

I really hope for serendipity for you at GB - fall into it, surrender to it and let it enfold you.

Marja said...

Gorgeous Brings back many happy memories