Tuesday, August 19, 2008

I will rise up.


Go if you must go
Turn if you must turn away
Don't cry a tear for me
Laugh if you can smile
Run if you're walking away
Don't cry a tear for me
Shout if you can speak
Sing if you mention my name
Don't cry a tear for me
Low in the valley,
stand in the wind and the rain
High on the mountain,
see the sun shining again
Shout if you can speak
Sing when you mention my name
Don't cry a tear for me
So go if you must go
Turn if you must turn away
Don't cry a tear for me.
Lyle Lovett.


A beautiful haunting song of stripped down bare boned vulnerability tucked away on a collection of spiritually driven orchestrations. From the CD, Lyle Lovett and His Large Band. One of my favourites. Lovett always surprises me with his ability to touch the chord of his faith. His song, I Will Rise Up is as moving in its "Large Band" intensity as is this ballad which he sings alone with his guitar.
His beauty shines on......

3 comments:

Bar L. said...

I've never listened to Lyle but now I think I'll check him out.

awareness said...

hey Layla....may I recommend the following.....(I can't believe I'm recommending music to you! Love it!)

The one I have written about is:

It's Not Big It's Large.

And

Road to Ensenada

And

Joshua Judges Ruth.

I like all of his work.....folk, gospel, country.....full of humour, pathos and heart.

awareness said...

Jamie and I saw him perform a couple of summers ago in Toronto with his "large band....." it was superb.