Friday, November 24, 2006

connections


Dance, then, wherever you may be
For I am the Lord of the Dance said he
And I'll lead you all, wherever you may be
And I'll lead you all in the Dance said He.
I woke up this morning with this song playing in my head. Do you wake up with a tune? Sometimes it leads my day. Sometimes it leads my writing. Today, it will lead both.

Yesterday, I spent the early part of the afternoon with a young woman of 23. She was referred to me after her initial intake interview and registration for social assistance because her story was complicated and her needs are many. Though the reason for the referral is typical, the individuals I have the honour of meeting are all unique. I love that. It's what drives my desire to stay in the frontlines................I get to meet the most interesting unique people and learn a little of their mystery.
To learn to dance with another.

Everyday. Uniqueness. Everyday. Newness.


Like all connections, we began our dance to find the common ground. It doesn't matter who you are connecting with safe footing is where to start, especially if the dance floor is uneven where one is a client and the other is initially perceived as authority and middle aged.
At first the conversation may lead to a couple of missteps, as was the case today. She was nervous and I was trying to figure out why she was referred to me.
So we started with the soft shoe..........


Leading the way, I explained who I was and asked her to share a bit of who she was. Smiling with my eyes........showing that I'm listening. Being present. It rarely takes very long if you find the right song to play. A couple of choices possibly to find the beat. If you are open to where your dance partner wants to jump in, the connection happens. As it did, she began to pour her woes, her complicated, multiplicated burdens..............way too many for anybody...........way too many for a 23 year old.
I wanted to dance all afternoon with her ............show her a couple of twirls..........and have her demonstrate her stomp. We did begin and while we talked the serious life talk, we also found time to laugh at our shared stories of our own life dances. She was delightful and willing to learn how to march on.....one toe tap at a time.
We connect through movement and song. We live through movement and song that somehow swells up from a special place inside our soul.................expressed in many emotions.
Today.............I will dance a jig.
And you?
What dance will you do?

7 comments:

Sunny said...

Wonderful painting for this post.
I experience the same thing but not as often as you. Today I got a call from a brand new great-grandmother. One of my clients wanted her to call me to tell me that he and his girlfriend had a 9lbs 1oz baby boy this morning. It is funny that of all the people to have called during such a joyous and scary occasion he'd want to make sure that I was called. I felt honoured and touched that he would want me to be part of it.
We have been working to overcome so many barriers - pregnant young girlfriend, upset parents, wanting to be together despite the odds, trying to find a job while being underage and undereducated, living in a far out rural area with no transportation...aside from being a criminal this young man had them all.
He's scared but his support system is growing and I am proud that he asked me to dance with him. He is in perfect step!

awareness said...

Hey Sunny......great story!!

The majority of my workday was encased in a strategic planning meeting.......I have just been released and feel like I need a shower from all the bullshit flying about!

Unfortunately, I picked the wrong dance......jigs are not conducive to sitting still. On top of that, I'm not very good sitting in a class. I'd rather be up at the front facilitating creative movement. So.........I'm outta here to lift my arms way up in the air and jump for weekend joy!

Canuckguy said...

Awareness:
--I recently read a comment about about social worker burnout in NB.
--As a social worker, do you have contact with cases involving children who are endangered, the ones that have to be taken away from their incompetent and/or vicious parents?
--Would that burn you out?

awareness said...

Hi Canuck Guy....

I'm not a social worker, though I often do social workey kinds of things. My background is psychology and psychometrics........I am trained as a counsellor and have the training to facilitate standardized assessments and such. Though I work with adults, my formal training initially was focused on children and families.

I often work with child protection social workers.......we are in the gov't dept. It would most certainly burn me out......I can't imagine working in that area for many reasons, particularly because of the strict legal parameters AND the philosophy behind the SW profession in this province. I would not be a good fit. There are many times when I have witnessed neglect and abuse, and my maternal and human urge is to take the babe and deal with the ramifications........to be involved in it anymore......my hands and my heart would feel too tied.

I think any kind of fronline work, but especially in the area of child protection can lead to burn out, especially if supports are not in place..........I am one of the supports for the frontline staff. So, I wear two hats......client and staff counselling.

The House on Big Island said...

I have always loved "Lord of the Dance". It is such an uplifting song.

And....although not really related to your thoughtful post, I couldn't help but sense a certain coincidence as Maritime great, John Allen Cameron, who performed it better than anyone, moved on to dance with his lord, yesterday.

awareness said...

Hi Daisy........yes.....I was thinking of John Allan. He was so influential to so many Celtic musicians. I was actually thinking about writing a post on my love of Maritime music....and will one day......

Years ago, pre-anklebiters, we were out at a pub in town to take in some Cape Breton music....the musician was John Ferguson. He was a regular and I really liked him, Just at the end of his first set, this big smiley man walked into the crowded pub and the whole place went electric in a whispery way. He walked up to the small stage, grabbed the guitar and started playing away! At first, I didn't know who he was, but quickly realized it was John Allan himself. He had the place singing and rocking by the second line of the first song. It was such a treat. I'll never forget it.
It was an early defining moment of feeling like I belonged in the Maritimes.

Did you hear the old interview with Peter Gzowski? You can access it through the CBC archives....it was wonderful to hear both of their voices. Maybe John Allan's playing a Scottish ballad to Gzowski and friends right this minute. :)

Cheers Shasta........

Muskie

JP (mom) said...

What a beautiful story. I love the wisdom in your words and the metaphor of the dance. The best part of what you wrote is your awareness in understanding and meeting this young woman where she is at - today - while making plans and figuring out how you can help for her tomorrow. Beautifully stated. much peace, JP