Monday, September 18, 2006

Vote Early and Vote Often

Today is election day in New Brunswick. It's been a whirlwind couple of weeks personally juggling work and helping with my friend William Forrestall's campaign (all the while my partner in crime kept the homefires flaming, thank you Jamer) and what's truly bizarre is that I don't have a clear feeling about how it's going to turn out. In fact, pundits are stating that this election is too close to call even at the provincial level. We're in for a long day and night. Both viable parties are tied in the polls.

Most people involved knew going into this that several swing ridings were going to be won due to the door to door work of the candidate. Given that many of the ridings had been re-jigged to accomodate population changes, polling isn't as accurate as it normally would be. On the ground candidate level, it seems that we have had to rely mostly on antecdotal stories. And if my team is reading it right, we have a good chance of taking this seat.

Too close to call elections usually bode well for accumulating voter public interest. Everyone normally likes to watch a dogfight. Yet, the public ennui is pathetically palpable. This election never seemed to catch fire except within the confines of the campaign teams during the strategic planning and decision making meetings held in the campaign headquarters. Unfortunately, I think that was the gameplan all along. It was provincially planned as an "under the radar" affair. Calling the election during the lazy dog days of August, and running it during the beginning of a new school year when most people are stretched to the limit with the added burdens of starting up various fall projects and activities, attention was elsewhere.

Usually there are a variety of local meet the candidate functions organized by different groups. Usually there are debates and showy rallies even at the local level. Usually one or two issues catch fire with the public. Not this time. It all seemed a wee bit haphazard from my perspective, while any defining issues were kept under the sheets prophylatically wrapped up in order to avoid potential damage control. Too bad...................there are many issues that could've been the spark to kindle this dogfight. Instead, most voters are heading to the polls asking themselves, "Do we really need a change of government or is the present one the lesser of two beige options?"

Yes, this election is a ho-hum affair when looking at it from a higher level. But, on the floor...... it's been a blast. It's been a long time since I was really and truly involved. I've reconnected with the loyal crew who have been running campaign offices and planning their candidates day to day schedules in the trenches. I've met new folks who are keen political animals who have rolled up their sleeves to focus on getting their candidate elected. Along the way, I've been able to throw my two cents into the mix using my writing and planning skills to help out Will. Writing his ads and brochure, helping him prepare for a taped speech, talking with him before and debriefing after an event, planning his Saturday morning gladhanding at the local market, attending a "walkabout" with the Premier and the local candidates, where my son ended up getting to ride in the "Big Blue Bus" with all of them............ Being in the thick of things has definately rekindled my political streak and my interest. It's good to be back in that milieu.

Tonight, the big screen TV will be set up in the Campaign headquarters. The whole "team" who havent congregated together since the beginning of the election while they assumed their roles, will assemble to watch the results. Talking strategy, enjoying the dogfight, hoping for a win, connecting for a moment in the history of this province. I'm looking forward to it.

My prediction? Bernard Lord's Tories will scrape to victory for their third term with 30 seats. Shawn Graham's Liberals will win 25. Alison Brewer and the New Democratic Party, a big fat zero. Both Graham and Brewer will be replaced by the next go around.


4 comments:

Sunny said...

Very interesting take on the election. I know that many are not very interested this time around but for some reason this is the one that has pulled me in. My husband works for NB Power so some of what Shawn Graham promises concerning energy conservation and such interests my family a great deal. My big issue is that really the two leaders (and I say two because we all know that Allison Brewer has as much of a chance of winning her seat as I do)are not really different from each other aside from a few little things here and there. I would like to have seen more information given on each of the platforms and not just the humdrum crap that the media allows us to read. Les Smith came to my door 3 times and each time we discussed in a bit more detail the Liberal agenda. I would have loved to have had a chance to have the same discussion with Keith Ashfield but he was nowhere to be found. It would have been nice to be able to go to the polls with more information. I relate this election to the pig races at the Frex this year...one may win by a snout.
My predictions 23-22 for the Tories with Graham in the background for the next election and a new Liberal leader and Allison Brewer lost somewhere in history.

Ellen said...

The odd thing about voting is that most people don't. They feel their vote doesn't matter or count, and that is why we, in the US, are in the current predicament we are in now. If just a few more people voted in Florida back in 2000, Bushco would have been a distant dream.
Most people who have never voted don't know that along with the candidate choices, voting for local issues are posted on the ballots as well. Although they are a bit confusing in their verbage, they are important to where your tax dollars go.

What most people forget is that it is not only a right (one which a lot of other countries in far poorer nations wish they had), but it is a duty as well. You can't complain about the government if you never took the chance to find out about the candidates and their issues... then voted. Apathy is a poor excuse for non-involvement.

Kudos to you for getting more involved than the average bear... you are a part of history making in the process, and one which your children will admire you for.

Canadian Sentinel said...

It doesn't help Ms. Brewer that she looks like Gilles Duceppe.

I'd advise she grow long hair, dye it brown, and wear womens' clothing to make folks stop thinking about a certain communist/separatist... I mean, all she needs to complete the illusion is a shower cap...

Them Dippers... just can't win at all...

X said...

I must admit that I don't follow Maritimes politics much, but I do have a funny story. I was in Halifax when the campaigning for the NS election was going on and the NDP candidate was going door to door. She came to my friends apartment to say her spiel and I decided I would ask a couple questions (I had a meet and greet with a prospective empoyer and knew some of the issues). I lobbed her an easy one given the NDP's stace on Kyoto and I apparently stumped her...so much so that she admited she didn;t care about politics and it wasn't her day job. So I asked why she was running and she blurted out something about helping the community but she obviously didn't expect people to be informed. Thankfully she lost the riding.