Wednesday, September 13, 2006

The 3 R's and then More........

“I told the children that I love my family first. And I love teaching second. They know all about my husband and kids because it’s important that they know me as a whole person, so you’ll probably hear stories about my family just like I hear stories about yours.”

I heard these words sitting at my son’s little desk in his Grade 4 classroom last night during “Meet the Teacher Night,” and it made me smile. So did the feeling of enthusiasm and genuine love of teaching exuding out of my son’s new teacher. A veteran of the school and someone whom I have worked with on several fundraising projects over the years, this woman is living her calling. And as she presented an overview of the expectations and curriculum for the year, it was plain to see that this little group of boys and girls was in for an inspirationally challenging year of learning. I could tell from the faces of every parent sitting at their child's desk that they were just as pleased.

Like teaching, most professions require pertinent aptitudes as well as an interest in the field as prerequisites. To be considered at the level of excellence however one has to have more than just the bare necessities. What does it take to be a top notch surgeon? A revered Minister? A well respected Counsellor? A well sought out Lawyer? An inspiring teacher? A talented Musician, Carpenter, Entrepreneur?

It’s not book smarts. It’s a magic inherent touch……..it’s a blend of intuitive awareness along with a desire to continue to hone one’s skills.

A mediocre teacher talks at you. A good teacher will take it a little farther and explain things……..and may even demonstrate new learning. A superior teacher? They inspire.
Teaching methods naturally flow in a way that doesn’t interfere with learning. In fact, the methods act as a conduit to awakening the spirit of learning. A superior teacher just gets it………..and really didn’t need to attend university to take the courses on curriculum development and learning theory. It’s in their blood.


23 children in this class…………all at different skill levels in reading, math, and science…….all living under different circumstances at home…….all different personalities, needs, abilities, interests…………all at varying abilities to focus, to learn, to absorb, and to grow this year. Over the year, there will be familial upheavals for some, illnesses for others………living both in and out of the classroom…….learning and growing both in and out of the classroom. The constant in their lives will be this woman who will greet them every morning with a familiar smile and routine, and will encourage them to write and read and share together. She will recognize their individuality as well as encourage team building all the while showing them how to respect and recognize their own talents as well as their classmates’. Her expectations for them are high. Yet, I have no doubt this class will embrace the challenges.
Why? Because they are already inspired.
Gee.................I didn't want to leave that classroom last night........

4 comments:

Scott said...

That sounds like such a great class. I hope that when I have kids they are lucky enough to be in that environment.

Scott

paris parfait said...

Sounds like a great teacher and a positive experience for the children!

Bar L. said...

How wonderful for your son! I am a firm believer that the teacher is the most important aspect of a child's school year during elementary years. Good teachers are such a blessing. Unfortunatley bad teachers can be a curse - my son only had one bad teacher but she really damaged his confidence.

Ellen said...

A good teacher makes all the difference whether a child will learn. They set the stage, and your son is lucky to have one so enthusiastic in her profession.
I can't wait to hear how well his year goes.