Monday, September 11, 2006

Praying Naked

Water Song by Felix Vigil, Jemez Pueblo, mixed media on canvas,
photo courtesy of Blue Rain Gallery, Taos, New Mexico.

When I pray for something, I do not pray
When I pray for nothing, I really pray.
Anthony de Mello


Like everyone, my thoughts today are on the 5th anniversary of the 9-11 attacks. What can be said that hasn't already been said? Why is this tragedy so raw in people's psyche still? There seems to have been no movement towards putting it to rest. 5 years later, the event feels like it occured just last week to many. The more I pondered this, the more I believe that it's because there has been no satisfactory conclusion. Bin Laden is still at large. Islamic terrorism continues to hover reinforcing the fear button in us, and will continue even after Bin Laden is finally captured. It's the world we live in.

As citizens of our global village..........as individuals who have no real power to turn the switch off to rid this world of evil................we must carry on living...........focusing on what we do have power over.......our awareness of ourselves and of the way we look at the world.

Last spring, I read a book entitled Praying Naked by Francis Stroud. It contains teachings originally written by Anthony de Mello, a Jesuit priest whose work continues to resonate 20 years after his death. I've written about it in the past, but I returned to it because of the messages it had on meditative prayer. I'm a firm believer that "life is 10% things that happen to you and 90% how you react to the 10%" it seemed like a good idea to remind myself that what I can control is my way of responding.

Events happen outside of yourself. Change happens from within. If we want change, if we want to alter our understanding of the world around us, we must focus on developing enlightenment from within. It's what we can control.....our awareness. Though we can learn from our past, our history, we can't change it. We need to focus on today, the present....a gift from God.

Take the time today to be still for a couple of moments..........to clear your head of all cluttering thoughts. Focus on the sounds around you.....and on your breathing...........be aware of the fact that if you are focused on your own breathing and the various sounds around you.........you will begin to calm those ongoing thoughts and feelings related to all the external stress you may be absorbing.

These first few steps are the beginning of meditative prayer. How simple is that?
And to think all these years, I thought prayer was such a complicated ritual only performed before meals and in church, when in fact it is simply a way of silencing and calming all the "noises" at anytime..........a method of stripping away everything one can't change in order to become more awake to who we are.

I wish I had the ability to stop all wars.........to rid the world of evil................. but it ain't gonna happen. What I can do, however is control how I respond and react to these events. I will take the time to day to remember the tragic events of 9-11 and all the events before and after it. Then at lunchtime today, I will head down to the river, which flows behind my office to breathe.

"A way of coming back to the harbour of ourselves is to ask who we are. It takes a whole lifetime to take your place in your own life. Solitude is given to you to receive yourself. Maybe dear friends it's time to illuminate God in the mirror of our souls?" This quote is one that captivated me when I first read the words last week. Thank you to Mr. Harbour himself for sharing his friend's wisdom.

***************
I found the painting that I posted today on Tara's blog. She's a beautiful writer living in Paris and I've been reading her poems and musings for a couple of months. I'm often intrigued by her insights and by the stunning artwork she posts. Yesterday was her birthday and she posted this celebratory painting that I just loved. So, I decided I would borrow the painting too because it reminded me of a party. Today is my birthday...... It's a strange day to celebrate one's birthday......... but it's also a blessing because birthdays are a celebration of life.........so is beautiful art.


11 comments:

Scott said...

Great post and a fantastic work of art.

Scott

paris parfait said...

Beautiful, thoughtful and insightful post. Thank you for the lovely nod. You're so sweet! Hope your birthday celebrations have been (and are) happy - wishing you a wonderful year ahead. Bonne anniversaire, mon ami! xo

X said...

I love that painting. So colourful, so lively.

Your post was very insightful...I have to admit I like to take a couple of moments out of my day as well. It helps me relax more than a nap!

Happy birthday :) And we should be celebrating all lives today...even those that are no longer with us.

Ellen said...

I think we all wish we could take away the hate, evil and wars of the world... making it a safe place for our children to grow up in, and a safe place in which to spend our days. If only the terrorists didn't have other plans brewing.

Thanks for sharing the beautiful painting, the wonderful words of your quotes, and the insightful thoughts of finding the harbor of ourselves. It is important to shut out the noises, even if it is for a few moments of our day... something we forget to do in all the busyness of our lives. Your reminder makes me feel less guilty for doing it often.

Happy Birthday, dear friend... may you enjoy the candle blowing ceremony, with many more to follow!

Lady Prism said...

happy birthday!!!!...thanks for cruisin' by my bloggy!!...I luv' what you wrote down here...so poignantly said...

awareness said...

Hey everyone!

thank you for your comments. My birthday was full of small surprises. I even had an email from a friend whom I was working with 5 years ago.......we watched the plane hit the second building and remained glued to the TV together.......... I hadn't heard from her since she retired a couple of years ago. She told me that when she wakes up on Sept 11, she remembers the tragedy of the day, and then remembers it's my birthday and it makes her smile. How nice is that?

Here's to life and small but important gifts.

Rainbow dreams said...

Happy Birthday,am pleased you had a good day

What a beautiful painting
and thanks for the quotes and the reminder

Canadian Sentinel said...

Happy birthday, Awareness.

I watched the second tower fall down live, myself.

Lovely painting/post.

Next to you, I feel a bit unsophisticated... but then again, I'm just a "redneck"... heh.

Gotta admit when I saw the title of this post I thought it might be about some naked leftists praying with Cindy Sheehan or something... well, that kind of stuff happens all the time these days, so it wouldn't have surprised me...

Ah, time fer me dinny...

awareness said...

Rainbow........thank you. I tried to leave a message on your blog and for some reason had troubles. I'll try again later tonight.

Hey Sentinel guy....... rednecks make the world go around. Sorry to disappoint re: praying naked with CS (you initials too, coincidentally!) However, I never said if I would be clothed sitting by the river now did I? Gee, that would get me fired from me government job, 'by Jesus, now wouldn't it?? heehee.

The Harbour of Ourselves said...

great quote by de mello and pleased the crazy mystics quote has been helpful...praying naked? Must try that sometime

awareness said...

Harbour.
Stroud explains the reasoning behind the title of his de Mello inspired book. He was involved in a conference when he was approached by a woman who explained that she practised meditative prayer often. Because she was a busy woman with kids and a career and not much time......she would pray when she got in the shower when she had a moment to relax and focus on her breathing.........she prays naked.

Another story revolved around a discussion about the title with a religious gentleman who exclaimed that he loved the title because when you pray, you stand before God, stripped of everything....you possessions, your ego, your clothes.....just yourself.....a bit vulnerable, but honest and pure.