Wednesday, April 05, 2006

On Friendship.

I have been attempting to pull together a speech I have to give on friendship, and I'm finding that anything that i come up with seems so stale and used. So much has been written about what a good friend is, or how to be a good friend etc..........and most of it makes the deep comfortable feelings that one feels with a friend sound so trite. And yet.............. We don't have many chances in this life to discover someone in our travels that fits our personal friendship niche. Why can't I capture that essence?

It'll come..............

In the meantime, I did find a few words of wisdom that I hadn't read in a while and thought I would share.

"A friend is someone who reaches out for your hand and touches your heart. "

"The most I can do for my friend is simply to be his friend. I have no wealth to bestow on him. If he knows that I am happy in loving him, he will want no other reward. Is not friendship divine in this?" Henry David Thoreau.

"Some people come into our lives, leave footprints on our hearts and we are never the same."

So, as I ponder and try to pull together something thought provoking for my speech.........I will continue to capture bits of insight here..............to share with you.

2 comments:

Scott MacAfee said...

My Favorite quote on Friendship is

"A good friend will come bail you out of Jail, your best friend will be sitting beside you in the cell saying to you "Man That was Awesome"".

awareness said...

Great quote Mr. Mad Mac! I may use that one.....though it may not be appropo.....my speech is really a sermon for a Sunday chapel!! Maybe I'll throw it in the mix just to see if anyone is paying attention.