Sunday, February 12, 2006

Life Lessons from the Stern of a Canoe

Recently, I learned that the place where I grew up and learned many life lessons is closing for good. I have always had strong ties to Camp Kawabi, and it will always remain close to my heart. The people, the experiences and the sense of belonging ground me still. One of the positive notes that has stemmed from the closing are the plans that are underway to hold a big celebration in the spring. Consequently, a staff website has been developed that has turned into a wonderful lifeline and connection to people, some of whom I knew very well, and some I'm just getting to know online because their time at Kawabi didn't coincide with mine.

No matter.....it has been a blessing to know that it doesn't matter when you were there over the 40 years of Kawabi, the feelings are the same and the experiences were very similar. An attempt is being made to gather story submissions for a book. Here is my first attempt............ I have found it very difficult to write about my thoughts and feelings about this place. Even though it has been 20+ years since I was a camp counsellor, I have a tough time standing back and writing something that isn't too mushy and over the top. Funny, I can write about anything else, but when it comes to Kawabi, the words leave me.

Life Lessons From the Stern of a Canoe

Very few activities are more life affirming for me than paddling a canoe. Not any kind of canoe, mind you. Ideally, it has to be a lovingly made cedar strip Chestnut canoe with it’s varnished thwarts and gunnels on the inside and painted blue canvas protecting the outside. Equipped with meshed bow and stern seats that you NEVER sit on and the thick ribs that wrap from gunnel to gunnel and leave red indents on your knees, the cedar strip canoe is a work of art. And, if you work hard at perfecting your technique, it can become an extension of yourself. A paddle, a Chestnut canoe, you and the water to slice through is all you need to find nirvana.

My love of canoeing didn’t seem to be an inherent trait initially. When I was very young, my dad took me out for my first paddle and we were promptly tossed overboard. The experience left me with a fearful aversion to water and boats – two phobias which accompanied me up the Kawabi camp road and down the path to the first tent in the girl’s tentline at the age of 9. But, within a few days of settling into life at Kawabi, I found myself standing by a rack of paddles with a bulky orange life jacket terrified of what was to transpire.

Along came Onions, smiling confidence and focused on changing my fear into fun. And he did. Everyday, I returned and everyday he took me out on an adventure that mostly consisted of the triangular cove of the canoeing area. One day, we paddled around the point. Sitting on a rock, waiting just for us, I swear, was a Great Blue Heron. I was hooked. Canoeing became a passion. On the last day of camp that year, I was presented with a small certificate (I still have it) which confirmed that I had successfully passed my beginner canoeing. Onward and upward.

Thanks to Onions, during my subsequent camper years, canoeing remained on my list of daily activities as I persevered to learn the art of paddling and of finding one’s balance. Memorable canoe trips and outsuppers to various locales were also added to the mix which definitely broadened my horizons and expanding my world. To Clear Lake, one portage away, to Crab Lake past diving rock and Indian Head point, to Sherbourne over the beaver dam and through the meandering shallow water that blossom with lily pad flowers, to Flat Rock, Big Hawk island, and eventually to Red Pine Lake two portages and a world away from camp…..many wonderfully meaningful trips shared with old and new camper friends, all with poignant and treasured camping memories.

Not all trip were completed without obstacles. Mosquito infested portages aside, most canoe trip disasters, like the first senior girl group attempt at accomplishing a “Survival trip” with our fearless leader, Drone at the helm that ended with returning to camp before dawn, or the trip to Red Pine with Naush, Spook, and Blade when we forgot the tents on the shores of Big Hawk only to have to paddle back in a rainstorm well, they have all become kindred memories that were filled with life lessons.

Canoeing at Kawabi continued to be an integral part of my summer days when it was my turn to be a leader. Mornings were spent listening to old Beatles tunes and working on my kiln tan in the craft shop. Afternoons were spent in the stern of a canoe teaching fun and skills to a newbie. Just like Onions………..with same amount of enthusiasm and love of the craft. Catching a few rays………..working on the canoe tan. Ah, those hot hazy days…….the long pull of the J-stroke and barging up with another canoe to float and chat, bobbing along on Big Hawk Lake.

20+ years laters I still have many Kawabi canoeing memories, some more vivid than others of that time in my life – the late night paddle with a special friend to talk quietly while sharing the spectacular summer starry sky, the boisterous comraderie of a successful outsupper or overnight, an evening with my senior girls group floating in the middle of the lake singing campfire songs, the early morning paddle during the Hawk Lake swim, quiet and pensive on the way over, loud and supportive on the way back, the “ah” moments when you’ve just successfully introduced a camper to the experience of being on a lake, away from camp, exempt of “civilization”. Then, of course, there are the trips dealing with weather’s elements; the wind, rain, thunder and lightening, and cold which always culminated in faster paddling, more focus and teamwork, while you hugged the shoreline for safety. Ooooo what about the leeches? I can’t forget the leeches.

It wasn’t until I left Kawabi after 12 glorious summers, that I realized how many life lessons from the stern of a canoe I took with me. Despite the fact that I rarely have a chance to gunnel bob along these days, whenever I do have a chance, there is a spiritual connection that comes over me in a way that no other activity does. When I do have a chance, my life lessons and ALL of my vivid memories resurface so strongly. It doesn’t matter what body of water I am on, I am quickly transported to the Haliburton Highlands where I saw my first Great Blue Heron and where I learned the J-stroke.

So, what are some of these lessons?

  • If you don’t like your perspective, paddle out a bit more to see things in a different light.
  • If things are a bit loud and crazy, launch away from your reality. Spend some time alone and gather your thoughts.
  • If you want to find some balance, grab a canoe, a paddle and find just the right lean in life to have your gunnels just above the water.
  • If a challenge is what you want, try paddling against the wind, using all your physical strength and emotional focus. Don’t forget to sing loudly. It always helps develop a sense of bravado.
  • If you’re stuck in a really boring meeting, one that is about to make you head pop off, close your eyes and think of the idyllic setting of the Kawabi canoeing area on a hazy summer day.
  • If you don’t like the direction you’re going, paddle hard and then attempt a running pry to alter your path.
  • And, if you think you are in trouble and there’s a storm pending, always know that Skip is there for you in his ski boat or on the shore waiting to give you a safe warm hug.

No comments: