Saturday, February 04, 2006

A Win For the Blue Team

I don't care what anyone says, cooperative games are for sissies. Give me a drag 'em out competitive game any day.

For the past year, I have been the model sport mom, sitting on the sidelines cheering one of my kids along in their pursuit of playing on a team. It started with indoor soccer last spring, which I must say I enjoy much more than the outdoor game. The pace is faster. The bounces off the walls were much more interesting to watch than a flock of little boys swarming together up and down a soccer pitch. It was our first foray into the game and despite a great coach and enthusiastic kids, the team sucked. I can't recall a win. Still, every week, they showed up with zip in their gym shoes hungry for victory. Parent and sibling support never wavered while we shored up our anklebiter representatives on the way home with bouncy pitched cheery comments about a particular play and HOW great that was........blah, blah, blah.

Then came the combination of girl's softball two nights a week interspersed with outdoor soccer two other nights a week throughout the whole. Once again, great coaches, supportive families, enthusiastic children, great weather....................and not one friggin' win. Brutal. Still, lots of loud cheering on from the cheap seats on the sidelines or behind home plate and a little more coaching on my part when it came to the softball games since it falls into my territory of knowledge and skill. Gee, I even shagged flies one night wearing a sundress just to help out. But, family enthusiasm didn't override skill. The losses tallied up and trips to get slusies after the games for moral boosting increased. My cheering continued, but I made sure that I always had my journal for writing in and the latest New Yorker to read. There was lots of time to multi-task and still shout out words of encouragement........

"OOOOOOO Wow! Great play! Go Blue! Go Sharks! Go Creekers! Go.........what's the name of this team???"

And it continued...................right through the fall as I supported the Middle School soccer team during their dismal display of fumbling footwork. Not one win. Nada. Nothing. No way.

It amazed me that the kids on the teams, mine included, still wanted to pull on their jerseys, to strap on their shin pads, and to tie up their running shoes as enthusiastically as they did on the first day. But, they did. Game after losing game after losing game.

We are now two months into the basketball season. Each week has included a practise night and a game night. Each week, I have dutifully accompanied my son and the rest of our family. AND each week, his team has been on the losing side. It's heartbreaking. But, I have never resorted to using any of the losing team cliches, like "It's how you play it, or Don't worry, it's just a game." I hated that hollow condescension when I was a kid playing.

But, last night the tide may have turned. The Blue team SMOKED their opponent on the basketball court. And guess what? I missed most of it! How ironic is that? By the time I ran an errand and returned to the gym, we were up by 24 points. I was told this by my son who came flying off the court and over to the door as I walked in...........right in the middle of a play. I shoved aside the "am I bringing them bad luck" superstitious thought right way, and then sat down to watch a new Blue team with more zip and more confidence and more team cohesiveness than I had seen all season. Because they tasted what it was like to win. They were playing their little butts off. Together. High fiving, smiling, running back to their defense after a basket. Gee, I didn't even know they knew how to do that.....

And while the time was running down, the families on the sidelines, many of whom have endured the same sorry games as I have, began wondering if this may be a sign of things to come. Could the next round of spring sports be a little less defeating? I'm not ready to leave my writing materials at home just yet. Diversions and capturing the moment in words is always a good thing.

Everyone needs to taste victory. It's more motivating than anything I know.

Here's to teamwork, determination, hope and win by the little guys. Bring on indoor soccer!



No comments: