Tuesday, October 03, 2006

On Integrity

Joris PLU, artist
Integrity




Honest, genuine, true to one's values...........
Integrity.
Solid, whole, complete, sincere......
Reliable without a flutter of doubt..........
Integrity.
Humility and an open compassionate heart......
Integrity.

Can you think of anyone in your life who fits that definition?

An individual who is recognized as someone who lives their life with integrity doesn't compromise their beliefs. You know where you stand with this type of individual. Lies and manipulation don't exist. Trustworthiness rules. So does loyalty and candor. You do the right thing even when no one is paying attention.

The term integrity seems to be bandied about quite a bit. Often it's attached to describing a business or an organization with respect to their ethics. You hear it in the political sphere, especially when there is a politician lacking in it. Even in marketing of products, one hears the word used to describe the durability or reliability of the item being hawked. Yeah, it's used so much that it's losing it's own integrity! How ironic. How sad too because true integrity is what seems to be missing so often in our world today. Whether it's at a CEO/President level or at a local community level or at an individual level..........we need leaders who emanate integrity.

Effective leaders are individuals who lead by action and interaction. Always aware of the importance of the people they are leading or managing, he or she is not afraid to be true to themselves when the have to make important decisions that may be unpopular. Effective leaders know the importance of earning, maintaining and showing respect. By so doing, they normally have a group of people who will work beyond the call of duty on their behalf. Why? Because it is recognized and meaningful. An effective leader guides, coaches and mentors by displaying genuine integrity.

Reliable and caring...................strong and unafraid of admitting that maybe you are wrong.

"Rather than love, than money, than fame......give me truth"
Thoreau


Where does one develop this characteristic that seems to encompass so many traits? How does one reintegrate it into their lives if one has lost it? Can you regain your integrity if you have failed to be reliable.......if you've failed to be open-hearted?

Though it would be a difficult hill to climb, I believe you can if your original foundation of values is solid. We all make mistakes. We all can be selfish and blind to other's feelings and hurts while looking out for ourselves. It's recognizing those mistakes, accepting the lesson in humility, forgiving ourselves (we are our own worse critics) apologizing and moving forward that allows us to begin to regain our integrity.

The problem is that there are many people who don't look in the mirror.........you know, that magic one that reveals your internal shadows as well as your outward persona.............. and admit that maybe the facade is transparent. Maybe these people never understood the importance of integrity.......perhaps they completely missed the lesson in the first place and don't even know what they are missing. What blows my mind is that so many of them manage to work their way up the food chain of life and become bosses. They assume the role of Skipper and we let them steer the ferries.

Shouldn't integrity be the number one prerequisite for any leadership role? It shouldn't be the amount of formal education a person has accomplished. It shouldn't be based on gender, language, clothing, schmoozing, or connections. It shouldn't be on how well a person can manage the books, compile statistics, look good in a meeting with their superiors. Unfortunately, integrity doesn't even make the top 10 list. It's time it did.

"Three things are necessary for the salvation of man: to know what he ought to believe; to know what he ought to desire; and to know what he ought to do." Saint Thomas Aquinas

14 comments:

Ellen said...

I agree. Integrity is the foundation of character.... yet a lost art on the many people who have been chosen as leaders.
We may never find a person who is 100% perfect and without mistakes to take over leadership, but a person without integrity should never even be considered for a top job. It makes us even more laughable to the world when we vote in the ones who have no idea or understanding of the word.

Kelly said...

I would definitely consider my uncle someone of integrity. I love the painting above, it is beautiful.

X said...

Integrety is often lacking in most people who have leadership roles...they are ofte filled with those who are cut-tgroat and will do anything to get the best result.

Rainbow dreams said...

I agree, I am reminded of a conversation I had yesterday about a manager who had no end of wondeful qualifications and certificates, but was lacking in some of those other essential areas, that could so neatly be described as integrity.

I believe though that managers do exist who have both integrity and the right 'qualifications', it's just that sometimes because of their integrity they refuse to play the game and don't always get the recognition they deserve.
Perhaps thats me being cynical...

awareness said...

Hi Ellen.
Yes it's strange how society forgets about the whole integrity thing when we mark our ballot....
I don't think a person with 100% exists, because we all make mistakes. but I definately believe that one should always strive for the full 100%.

Hi utopia! Moved into your new house yet?? Isn't that a gorgeous painting. I googled images reflecting honesty and that one popped up! It reminds me of autumn.

leftfield..and Rainbow... I wonder if sometimes a person with integrity is considered in the dog-eat-dog world as weak or something?

Though I do believe there are marvellous leaders and individuals who aren't in leadership roles that live a life full of integrity. They shine above all in my books.

Anonymous said...

Yes, actually someone came to mind immediately: Clyde, my former boss. Its almost annoying being around him sometimes because he's so "good" - lol

Great post as always, Aware, and the painting is stunning - love the colors!!!

Barbara

awareness said...

Hi Barbara/Layla ......The person that comes to mind for me was a Mentor of mine.....my first one. He owned and directed a summer camp I attended as a kid and then worked at as a counsellor. For 12 summers, "Skip" mentored many of us as we grew up and found our way....... we all wanted his approval. We all would've tried to move mountains for him.
Even now, many years later, there is a kind of reverence that all alumni feel for him.....it was evident at a big 40 year reunion held last spring. The impact he made because of his unfailing integrity .... was tremendous

Alex S said...

I've never really understood how it is that so far get SO far without integrity. It really baffles me. I look around at our politicians here and it just saddens me. There is no true quality of life without checking in to see how integrity is or isn't being infused in our days.
& thank you so much for your lovely comments on my blog yesterday. I so agree. Counseling does require so many of the same skills we bring to writing. Both are intensely creative and courageous pursuits. Each very much inspires the other too. I'm in my last 300 hours needed for my license right now and it feels like I will never make it to that finish line!!!

The Harbour of Ourselves said...

I watched 'Scent of a woman' again recently, and I get goose bumps every time Al pacino gives his speech about character, courage and integrity at the end...

it reminds me of that quote from Blaise Pascal:
'The power of man's virtue should not be measured by his special efforts, but by his ordinary doings.'

awareness said...

Alexandra. Bon chance! 300 hours sounds daunting, but it too shall pass and you too shall pass.... :)
I often find that when I'm listening to a person's story, the ups and downs and incredible twists and turns they had to endure, I often find myself thinking......my goodness this story needs to be written.
I've met many characters along the way who have never had an opportunity to share their perspective and stories..... it's the absurdist, quirky things that they tell me that often generate the creative juices in me. We write best what we know..... Counselling offers us a window onto so many different worlds that others don't have an opportunity to see.
Harbour.... I forgot about that speech. It was powerful. I'll have to rent that movie again. It's been a long time. IN fact I recall watching it whilst suffering from first trimester yuks.....it definately affected my take on it.
Your quote...... I read that while I was pulling together this piece. It is so true. Magnanimous efforts are not needed. Everyday, consistent kindness and compassion is what we recognize in others.
BTW..........just read the comments on your blog and would LOVE to be attending the weekend retreat at Cotlis. I'm sorry I live too far away.............

Ellen said...

In another movie, "The Bonfire Of The Vanities", Morgan Freeman makes a speech about decency. In it he states that decency is something in all of us, after all, "it's what your Grandmother taught you... it's the right thing to do". I love his delivery and the words of his dialogue, as they are powerful and strong... and never said enough.

awareness said...

Yes! I remember the book more than the movie.......that book stuck with me for a very long time. The whole concept of someone thinking that they are "Centre of the Universe" is so prevalent in our society......

Decency and honesty.....we need to return to these values.

JJ said...

Thanks for liking my painting so much... means a lot...
have a great day!
Joris

http://www.plu-art.com

awareness said...

Hi Joris.

When I posted it, I should've made sure your name was front and centre! I'm sorry about that. It's a beautiful painting and it speaks to me. You finding this and the piece which accompanies it allowed me to revisit it. I will republish the piece again for others to see and read.

cheers.