Friday, October 13, 2006

Ah...................Music.





I'm a sucker for the sound of the harmonica. Though I did get over my teenage love of Peter Frampton and his wailing sound, there are a few songs where the magic of the harmonica fills part of my soul with wanderlust and faraway eyes.

Tonight, as I was driving home from the grocery store feeling whacked out Friday tired, I was listening to a compliation CD that my husband made for me for Mother's Day. Right when I needed a bit of an energy boost, the eerily sweet sound of the harmonica began emanating from the speakers.........Springsteen.

Before I knew it, I became more alert..........more aware of the late afternoon sun hitting the bright yellow and orange leaves still holding onto the branches. Before I knew it, I caught sight of the glistening river and how the low water level exposed the sand around the little islands in the middle of the river where the cows spend their summers grazing. Before I knew it I was turning onto my street happily singing, glad it was Friday.

I can't imagine living a life without a musical soundtrack to enhance every moment. And depending on the event........or the moment, one needs to find the right tunes. Sometimes, the right tunes find you, just when you need them to. It got me thinking about songs I relate to daytime driving, especially when I find myself heading somewhere on a highway and what my top 10 would be.

In no particular order........................ I present to you................ the songs I love to sing along to..................

1. You Can't Always Get What You Want, Rolling Stones
2. When God Shines His Light On Me, Van Morrison

3. Multiply, Jamie Lidell

4. Under a Stormy Sky, Daniel Lanois

5. (I Would Walk) 500 Miles, The Proclaimers

6. When the Night Feels My Song, Bedouin SoundClash
7. All the Way Home, Bruce Springsteen

8. Follow Her Around, Jimmy Rankin
9. Northwest Passage, Stan Rogers

10. River of Dreams, Billy Joel

11. Waitress in the Sky, The Replacements ( I can't count)
12. Drive South, John Hyatt

Those are very different than the songs I prefer to listen to driving at night or early morning. Then, I usually like to listen to a CD from beginning to end..........but there are also songs that come to mind that stand alone........here's a combination.........of oldies......each of them I can tie them to specific moments quietly driving with my husband who is normally behind the wheel and the kids sound asleep in the back.

1. Jersey Girl, Tom Waits
2. Soundtrack from Cal, Mark Knopfler
3. Summer Highland Falls, Billy Joel
4. Come Away With Me, Norah Jones

5. Song for a Winter's Night, Gordon Lightfoot

6. Jesus Was an Only Son, Bruce Springsteen

7. Tupelo Honey, Van Morrison
8. Fire and Rain, James Taylor

9. The Coldest Night of the Year, Bruce Cockburn

10. Harvest Moon, Neil Young



The last one I'll mention fits in a category on it's own. It was the first song I danced to with my husband even before we started dating and the first song we chose to dance to on our wedding night.

Irish Heartbeat, Van Morrison

Oh won't you stay

Stay a while with your own ones

Don't ever stray

Stray so far from your own ones



'cause the world is so cold
Dont care nothing for your soul

That you share
with your own ones


Don't rush away
Rush away from your own ones
Just one more day

One more day with your own ones


'cause the world is so cold

Don't care nothing bout your soul

That you share
with your own ones


There's a stranger
And he's standing at your door
Might be your best friend,
might be your brother

You may never know

I'm going back
Going back to my own ones

Come back to talk

Talk a while
with my own ones


'cause the world is so cold
Don't care nothing
'bout your soul

You share
with your own ones


Oh won't you stay

One more day
with your own ones

Don't rush away

Rush away
from your own ones


This old world is so cold,

Don't care nothing for your soul
You share with your own ones



Just reading the lyrics, I can hear the tune and remember the moment almost 19 years ago........... I think I was floating.........

Yes, music to fit the moment.......it finds you at just the right moment. Will someone please cue the harmonica.........


15 comments:

Andrea said...

hi dana ... this is just a tryout to see if i can figure out how to reply to your blog. i will be back in touch.

awareness said...

Hey Mom!

You did it! Well done. Reply away.

Want me to write a scathing piece on Pierre so you can hammer away on the keyboard?? Or how about his lusty son Justin?? :o)

Anonymous said...

Hey there! I see you have a pic of my ex-boyfriend on the top of your post today! Bruce and I go way back* and yes, he's a great harp player - for shore!

You have EXCELLENT taste in music. I don't think I could live without music...it pumps energy into me and keeps the blood flowing in my veins!





*ok - perhaps "ex-boyfriend was an over-statement. But I have seen him in concert 16 times - does that count?

awareness said...

Hi Layla.......

Now, did the Boss know you were in the audience? Cause I think if he knew, then you could get away with the ex thing. That was you he pulled onto the stage to dance with in that Born in the USA video, right? :)

My musical heart has always gone to Billy Joel......loved his music even before Piano Man days. don't think I've seen him 16 times, but a good handful........and always a huge thrill. My Mom (who just learned to post comments.....we're one step closer to an Andrea blog, right Mom?) my sisters and I went to see Movin' Out in NYC this time last year and it was amazing. Loved it.

Since I posted this last night, I realized I forgot U2 anthem.....Still havent Found What I'm Looking For and I completely forgot a John Prine song or a Lyle Lovett song........they are on my driving list too.

Layla are you a Clapton fan? Is that where you got your name?

Arlen said...

I've always been partial to Joel's "Until The Night" off the 52nd Street LP. Seems like he really had a knack for great music earlier in his career. I was amazed to read years ago that "I Love You Just The Way You Are" almost didn't get recorded because the band felt it was too schmaltzy, sounding too much like a Vegas lounge singer act. But Joel followed his instincts and won a Grammy for it...

The Harbour of Ourselves said...

i was going to blog something about music, but got distracted - love the two lists - same taste me thinks.

here are the most played 10 and last 10 songs on my iPod:
most played
1, Love theme from St. Elmo's Fire - David Foster
2, Take it with me - Tom Waits
3, Jesus was an only son - Bruce Springsteen
4, Nevermore - Beulah
5, Johnsburg, Illinois - Tom Waits
6, Be on your way - Dan Fogelberg
7, Grace - Jeff Buckley
8, The Maker - Daniel Lanois
9, Where the Streets have no name - U2
10, Sweet Baby James - James Taylor

last 10 played:
1, The One you love - Rufus Wainwright
2, A Ballard - Kate Rusby
3, Jesus blood never failed me - Gavin Bryars/Tom Waits
4, Carry Me - Nick Cave
5, The Seer's Tower - Surfjan Stevens
6, Picture of Jesus - Ben Harper
7, She has no Time - Keane
8, Shehnai Song - Sheila Chandra
9, In the Real World - Roy Orbison
10, You Remain - Willie Nelson

Ellen said...

I just pulled a long night catering a wedding (feet screaming with anger at me), and they had a family member do the DJing for them. He played all kinds of songs throughout the night, which made me like being there all the more. Many times I had to yell down to the legs and feet: SILENCE! I like this song... Quit your belly-aching!

The DJ mxed in all sorts of music, not the regular fare of "Love Shack", or "Macarana" (sp??)... and I found myself thinking of my parents who found it necessary to enlighten their children on the classics, and standards of the 60's.

I do not listen to a lot of music at home, but it is a constant companion in my vehicle on my daily runs of food. I need to hear other noise than trucks rushing past, and usually skip around to different stations to find the right tune to fit the bill. And when I do, it's magic, and the rushing rat race fades to the back..... then I no longer am on a mission, as the world turns to bliss.

Music is food for the soul. A well sung song, or well played instrument makes it all the more enticing for me to turn up the knob a few decibels to sing along, and remember a favorite memory that went with it. We are kindred in that fact, my friend.

awareness said...

Hi Arlen..........Just the Way You Are is the song I danced to with my Father at my wedding.
I particularly like his old stuff, but I do remember the Stranger album when I was in high school and loving it.
thanks for dropping by.

Harbour.....not suprisingly, we do have similar music tastes. There are a few names on your list that I don't recognize (my husband did though...he's more of an affecionado than Moi....) We saw Willie Nelson perform last spring and really enjoyed it.

One of my favourite albums still is Fogelberg and Weisburg...Twin Sons of Different Mothers. The first time I heard it I was driving down the coast of Vancouver Island with a new friend.......OMG that was years ago.
There are songs that are so timeless and I never grow tired of them....my family does however, and they try their best to bring me into 2006 as much as they can.

Hi Ellen....... I have stopped listening to the radio in the car unless I'm listening to CBC (public radio). However, the CBC of late isn't near as good as it was when I first discovered it. I find that the other radio stations just play music that I can't relate to and the commercials drive me bonkers. Consequently, I have been listening to CD's more often than I used to.
Wedding music is so darn predictable isn't it? My husband pulled together the songs for our wedding dance......a mix of old and new and it was a huge success.......not one bunny hop infiltrated the dance floor. :)

Hope your tootsies are feeling better.

Cheers everyone.

Sunny said...

You have lifted me up today when I really needed it. I haven't been reading blogs much this past week. The issues surrounding my mother have kept me very busy but when I began reading I started to feel my heart pumping and the weight on my shoulders began to lift. I love music and cerain songs certainly can make me feel better...especially ones with special meaning.
Anything U2 is an instant remedy with me but when I ready 500 miles by the Proclaimers on your list I felt overwhelming joy! I love that song and when you hear it you can't help but sing along.
I love Eric Clapton but I really love Simon and Garfunkel. When I hear Cecilia I freak out and remember my best friend growing up (U2 reminds me of her as well which is why I love it so much - gosh I miss her).
Billy Joel is one of my favs too and on my list of musicians I MUST SEE before I check out. River of Dreams is a great song to sing along to but try as I may it doesn't matter what he sings I find myself singing right along.
I suggest you try listening to Spirit of the West..especially the songs they do with the Vancouver Symphony. It is fantastic and the song The Miller's Daughter is what I walked down the aisle to on my wedding day. Their music always makes me feel happy and full of love since they are my husband's favorite band and so the music brings me close to him even when he isn't there.
Funny but I seem to like anything sung by Conway Twitty and Loretta Lynn...my mother loves those and it pains me to think that soon I will only have those songs and not her.
Okay...I have my kleenex and I am ready to keep going for the day! I thank you. Your post has given me the idea that I will bring over some music to my mom and play it for her. Maybe she will get some of that joy too.

Scott MacAfee said...

Ah....wareness

I too danced at my wedding to Van The Man - the song went like this

These are the days of the endless summer
These are the days, the time is now
There is no past, there's only future
There's only here, there's only now

Oh your smiling face, your gracious presence
The fires of spring are kindling bright
Oh the radiant heart and the song of glory
Crying freedom in the night

These are the days by the sparkling river
His timely grace and our treasured find
This is the love of the one magician
Turned the water into wine

These are days of the endless dancing and the
Long walks on the summer night
These are the days of the true romancing
When I'm holding you oh, so tight

These are the days by the sparkling river
His timely grace and our treasured find
This is the love of the one great magician
Turned water into wine

These are the days now that we must savour
And we must enjoy as we can
These are the days that will last forever
You've got to hold them in your heart.

-Van Morrison

I enjoyed your post and I enjoy the Boss - Nothing like a little Thunder Road to get you geared up for the weekend, or some Rosalita to get you going whenever.

Rainbow dreams said...

Music was sadly missing for much of my childhood, so I found myself thirsty for it once I left home. Now I'd hate to be without it - different music for different moods and situations. Like your choices :)

My husband has a wonderful record collection and we have cd players in most rooms. I wouldn't be without my ipod either!

I have also come across some wonderful music via different blogs - but then, as with books, I'm like a child in a sweet shop!

awareness said...

Hi Sunny........trying to stay on the sunny side......keep writing through this awful time that you and your family are facing. I'm so sorry about your Mom's health situation. Don't hesitate to connect with me if I can do anything......drop in for a tea anytime.
Do you think your Mom would like a CD of all her favs on it to listen to? It may be nice just to have in the background in her room right now? Just a thought.

I had completely forgotten Simon and Garfunkel......can't believe that! I saw them in concert years ago.....The Boxer has always been my fav. I also still love Graceland. The first time I saw Paul Simon play Diamonds on the Soles of her Shoes was when he performed it on Saturday Night Live with the African Band (that band is coming to the Playhouse this winter BTW). Blew me away!!

Mr. MadMac.....glad to see your comment.......what a beautiful song with such poetic lyrics. You have such a romantic heart under that rugby shirt of yours!! :)

Rainbow.....hiya..... music was key in my childhood. Neil Diamond, Ella Fitzgerald, Mel Torme and Frank Sinatra often accompanied us during dinner. Those musicians are still played at my house. In fact last night, my daughter requested Sinatra music when my husband was putting music on for dinner......the tradition continues........ :)

Rainbow dreams said...

Sinatra! Takes me back to the first night I met my husband - he/we danced sang and laughed along the street to Sinatra :-) Sounds very odd writing it down but it seemed perfectly reasonable at the time!

I love it that my children are surrounded by all kinds of music

awareness said...

Hey Rainbow.....here's a coincidence. On my first date with my husband, he sang a Sinatra tune to me! How funny that we both have the same memory. Could it be that we married the same fella on different continents??? hahaha

Rainbow dreams said...

Two like Rob - scary thought!!! ;-)

That was 15 years today in fact, amazing how paths cross and then walk side by side