Saturday, January 14, 2006

Random Acts of Kindness


"If you were arrested for kindness, would there be enough evidence to convict you?"
Unknown

The other day, just before 9 am, I parked my car at the curb got out and proceeded to dig through my wallet for change for the parking meter. As I was just about to put the money in, a familiar looking man who was standing on the sidewalk begging for money said to me:

"Don't put your money in that parking meter, dear. You don't have to pay for parking until 9 am. Give it to me and I will put it in the meter when it needs to go in."

Was it the way he said it, so kindly and with a smile on his face that made me give him the money and some for his troubles? Yes. I trusted that he would follow through on his promise. I smiled, he smiled.......we both felt a quick connection of kindness that made me walk away with a lighter step.


A random act of kindness from a stranger.........brings buoyancy to both spirits.


Yesterday, as I was running up the steps to the front door of my office building, I noticed a young woman struggling with her new baby and with all the acoutrements that one has to lug around. My quick second assessment was that she was a bit overwhelmed with the task of getting up the steps, through two sets of doors and into the building. I stopped in my tracks, and turned to help her maneouver her way. Within that same moment, she exclaimed that her baby, only 2 months old and that this was their first time venturing downtown. She was nervous and self-conscious and all thumbs. We spoke briefly in the foyer..........me coooing over the sleeping babe, and she asking for directions, and then our encounter was over. I felt good about helping her and getting a "baby fix" (there are only two types of people in this world: Baby people and the rest of the world) and she left relieved and a little more confident to continue on with her personal business.


A random act of kindness to a stranger.........echoes through both people.

On an errand today to pick up a birthday present, I had all intentions of running into the store, blitzing the shelves and getting out of there as quickly as my feet would take me. Head down, no eye contact.........plowing through. As I rushed passed the flower section, I was bowled over by the scent of the hiacynths. Flowers are my other achilles heel. Of course, I stopped to admire the pots filled with spring, and my eyes fell on a small grouping of yellow tulips. Impulsively, I picked them up, and for 4 bucks, took them home with me. They are now sitting on my desk to admire as I write this posting. A little pick-me-up on a rainy January day. It makes me feel renewed.

A random act of kindness to yourself.............don't ever forget yourself!

Though it may seem sometimes that your kindness is not always recognized right away or appreciated, there is no doubt in my mind that every act has an impact. In fact, I think that the less it seems to be acknowledged, the more it is needed. If someone is so oblivious to an offer of kindness, that person REALLY needs a little boost.
One never knows when a simple smile, a small acknowledgement of another individual, can make a big difference.

There really is no such thing as a small act of kindness because it has a ripple effect. If it is felt, it is passed on. So, toss out a few pebbles of acknowledgement. Smile at the cashier, hark out a hearty hello to a neighbour, take the time to hold the door for someone, and if you have a hankering to buy some flowers, a glossy magazine, gosh...... or even a new Carrie Underwood CD for yourself..........Go right ahead!

Nothing bad comes from spreading and experiencing good cheer..............



"The best portion of a good man's life is his little, nameless unremembered acts of kindness and of love." William Wadsworth.

No comments: