Sunday, June 25, 2006

Dance, Dance Wherever You May Be...........




While I dance I cannot judge, I cannot hate, I cannot separate myself from my life. I can only be joyful and whole. That is why I dance.
Hans Bos.


Yesterday, I had BIG plans to scribe a ranty job related rave, and even started a draft. I was all fired up and ready to let it all hang out on my blog..............was going to take my time allowing it to simmer on and off throughout the day and then let it rip out through my fingers after it was all spiced up and savoury. Well..........when it was time to jot down a few missives, I couldn't access my blog. I tried and tried for a couple of hours and gave up. Still thinking I would get back to the rant, I went off to clean my house, do some laundry and toss some accumulated junk. Mindless activity to feed a mindfull head. Like driving in a car, often doing housework allows me to create. That was my plan.........stew in the juices of a good hate on.

Then, I turned on some tunes. Housecleaning tunes..............toe tappin', hip waggin', head noddin' upbeat familiar songs that don't allow for stewin'. Lively, joyful rockin' tunes that force you out of your head and into the moment. Within seconds, my anger flew out the open window and blew away in the breeze. Off it went...........my rant roared away. It rolled down the hill, across the road, into the river and floated away, away away................... Music filled my living space with an upbeat beat. Before I knew it, the tunes emanating out of the speakers altered my moody focus, transforming it into life energy. I was off to the races..............................cleaning and singing and dancing and singing and cleaning................with lighter feet and spirits.


And the dancing continued..........................right into Saturday night.

Along with about 40 others, my dancing partner and I joined a crew to dance the night away with friends. With all the kiddies safely tucked in down the street with munchies and movies and a babysitter, the adults congregated for an night of forgetting worries and burdens and responsibilities.....to dance. That was the whole purpose of the party..........to dance. It doesn't happen often enough. We don't make time for letting it all hang out. And yet, dancing is something that I love to do. Given the crowded dance floor, I wasn't alone! It used to be that dancing was a big part of weekend festivities when I was younger. But, the club scene doesn't even encroach on my world and the opportunities don't seem to materialize very often. I don't go to many weddings anymore, and most "parties" are get togethers with families to kick back and relax a bit while the kids run around playing. Yeah...........dancing, apart from housecleaning two-steps and some impromptu twirls in my livingroom, took a back seat.

Not last night, however. It was front and centre.

Any problem in the world can be solved by dancing............. James Brown said that. I couldn't agree more. It does make you "feel good." The more you twirl and swirl and flail your arms around............the more you shake and shimmy and lose that whole feeling of being self-concious, life's problems and all it's worry warts leave your pores. It's such a therapeutic activity that is always pleasurably joyful.

The most acute feeling that I have when I'm lost in a dance? Divine inspiration. Oh, and sore feet and calves in the morning. But, it was well worth it.


I danced in the morning when the world was begun
I danced in the Moon & the Stars & the Sun
I came down from Heaven & I danced on Earth
At Bethlehem I had my birth:

Dance then, wherever you may be
I am the Lord of the Dance, said He!
And I'll lead you all, wherever you may be
And I'll lead you all in the Dance, said He!
(...lead you all in the Dance, said He!)

4 comments:

Ellen said...

You've been a busy busy girl. All that posting, housecleaning, and dancing the cares away.... Oh to have half your energy! But then I might need to take your advise... and dance life away to perk up the tired muscles and give them new renewed hope of youth before I get too old.

I admire your spirit... it's in continous bloom!

awareness said...

Why thank you..........but I must admit that I didn't include the power nap prior to the evening festivities. AND........the fact that I posted my story, then promptly crawled back into bed this morning!!!

And cleaning? Well......here's the truth. I've been writing so much that I haven't been pulling my weight on the cleaning front. My husband has been a trooper, picking up the slack. yesterday, it was my turn (plus) to scrub things down.

On most things......someone asked me if I had ADHD......which is quite funny because I was wondering the same of him.......I don't, but I do like to multi-task and have a bunch of things on the go at the same time. You must too though.......catering is a multi-tasking thinking creating challenge.........a career that I have seriously been thinking about myself BTW.

Thanks for your comments Ellen. I really appreciate the fact that you visit my site regularly.

Canuckguy said...

So do you have to mix dancing with drinking like I have too in order to enjoy?

TMelendez said...

HUm...
sometimes I wish I coudl hold to the anger.. well channeled it is productive...
still.. I love to dance!
T