Friday, July 28, 2006

Tomorrow is Always Fresh with no Mistakes in it.....




"Good friends are always together in spirit" - Anne of Green Gables











The heavens have opened up tonight. No thunder, no light show, just lots and lots of rain. That's alright because tomorrow will be fresh with no mistakes and hopefully no rain in it. WE are headed to Prince Edward Island for a quick romp on the the beach and a swim in the warm water. There is no other place quite like PEI, with it's red sand and it's fertile potato fields. As soon as one crosses the Confederation bridge from New Brunswick to the Island, there is a change in the air. Tranquility possibly?

Normally we spend a week on the Island with our friends and their kids. We all have separate cottages that are equipped with the bare minimums...........no TV, no phone................just a few board games and a deck of cards for evening fun. Kites, sandtoys, a bocci set and wiffle baseball are all packed to be used in the big field that overlooks the beach down below. Summer winds blow most days.........keeping the temperature just right and the bugs far away. Beer and wine flow as we all share our meals and catch up from a year away from one another. This year, we only have a precious weekend. But, we'll do our best to fill it with maritime magic. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a beach fire tomorrow night under the stars.................which right now are hiding behind a bunch of rain clouds!

Last year right after we arrived, I had this urge to sit down to write in my journal. I hadn't written in a very long time. In fact, I had forgotten the pleasure of writing. I had forgotten that I had the ability to pull different combinations of words together in a way that pleased my palette. For whatever reason, the words came tumbling out. Every morning when everyone was sound asleep, I would tiptoe, tiptoe into the kitchen make a cup of tea, throw on my favourite jean jacket over my nightgown and step outside. Lily, my dog came with me and would fall asleep beside the Adirondack chair that became my writing vestibule.

Every morning my vista would alter.................the clouds were painted differently on the everchanging sky canvas...........sometimes the sunrise would be brilliant.............sometimes it would just gradually become lighter. The tides too played games. And while I soaked in the fresh air, the view and the tranquility, I wrote.



The words havent stopped flowing...................for that, I am grateful.

I look forward to sharing a fun weekend with my family and our good friends. And I look forward to my early Sunday morning vista viewing with Lily. I wonder what it will look like? I already know how it will feel. Like I belong there.


3 comments:

Kelly said...

Great post. Spening a vacation on an island with no t.v. sounds like a very good vacation!

Ellen said...

I've been meaning to get over here since Friday... but got caught up in the traps of doing chores around the house, and trying to go through blog roll to comment, etc.
So sorry!

I hope you had a wonderful time with the surf, sun, and (my favorite) lobster. Did you manage to get any writing done? Shell collecting?

I was truly amazed at the color of sand on PEI... and had no idea that it was red. We have grey-snake color sand on the Atlantic side, and white linen color in the Gulf. The only red is the color of our dirt... more like a terracotta color really. The only thing that grows well in it is weeds.

Even though it was only a weekend away, I'll bet it felt good to pack up and decompress elsewhere than home. Glad you had some time to do that! But also glad you are back! This post is the closest I'll get to the baech this year, and if I closed my eyes, I could imagine myself collecting shells and sharing some lobster with you.
Thanks for the visual!

awareness said...

Hi there.

We had a marvellous time. The weather was superb as was the sand and surf. We surely decompressed. In fact, it feels like we were away longer than a couple of days. That's the magic of PEI.

Not much writing accomplish.......but lots of new thoughts and ideas. My early Sunday morning was as planned, but the wind was gusty so I opted for a meditative hour of enjoying the view while allowing the wind to clear away the cobwebs.

Lots of sunning and swimming and riding the waves! We saw a beautifully elegant bald eagle soar by while we were on the beach. It was breathtaking.

Oh...........and the lobster was mighty fine! So was spending time with old friends whom we dont see enough of...........

Cheers.